Welcome to Stokes ...
So far, we have found very little information about Stokes. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Stokes to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Stokes, please Contact Us.
Stokes would have been located within present day Goochland County<2>.
The location of Stokes has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Stokes is 180 feet [55 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: The area where Stokes was located is in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
If Stokes still existed, it would have been in the (804) area code.
Communities Also Named Stokes ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 20 communities that are also named Stokes - they are located in Alabama (2), Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Mississippi (2), New York, North Carolina (3), Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina (4), Tennessee and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Stokes.
Communities near Stokes ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Stokes.
- Columbia [Fluvanna County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Columbia have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Columbia
- Columbia [Fluvanna County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the northwest of Stokes
- Estimated population in 2016: 80 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Columbia
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Columbia<6>
- Beaumont [Powhatan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beaumont
- Beaumont [Powhatan County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the east of Stokes
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beaumont
- Lakeside Village [Cumberland County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lakeside Village have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lakeside Village
- Lakeside Village [Cumberland County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the west of Stokes
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lakeside Village
- Clinton [Cumberland County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clinton
- Clinton [Cumberland County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the southwest of Stokes
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clinton
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Goochland [Goochland County]
- Sandy Hook [Goochland County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sandy Hook
- Sandy Hook [Goochland County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the northeast of Stokes
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sandy Hook
- Fork Union [Fluvanna County]
- Weber City [Fluvanna County]
- Cumberland [Cumberland County]
- Trents Mill [Cumberland County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Trents Mill
- Trents Mill [Cumberland County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<5> to the southwest of Stokes
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Trents Mill
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Stokes. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Stokes.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Stokes. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Stokes.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Stokes. See our Newspapers Page for Stokes.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Virginia
About Goochland County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Goochland County: www.co.goochland.va.us/
The official website for State of Virginia: https://www.virginia.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Stokes, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Virginia's counties, including Goochland, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Stokes - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Stokes) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Stokes. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 37.6549, Longitude: -78.0447 In this case, the coordinates for Stokes have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|