When we're on the road, rather than always picking an airport that is close to our destination, we try to see if there might be another airport that would better fit our travel plans.<1> To help with your planning, the following list of airports is organized by type and proximity to Springfield.
Please keep in mind that these airports were chosen based on their air-distance from Springfield. You should check the map and see how accessible they are when considering one airport over another.
For each of the airports listed below, we've linked to websites where detailed information about the airport can be found.
Of the airports that we know about, these are some of the closest to Springfield.
Large Airports ...
- Washington Dulles Intl.
- Baltimore - Washington Intl. (BWI/KBWI)
- Richmond Intl. (RIC/KRIC)
- Harrisburg Intl. (MDT/KMDT)
- Morgantown Muni. (MGW/KMGW)
Smaller Airports with Scheduled Flights / Air Taxi Service ...
- Charlottesville Airport (CHO/KCHO)
- Shenandoah Valley Rgnl. (SHD/KSHD)
- Johnstown - Cambria Co. Airport (JST/KJST)
General Aviation Airports ...
- Front Royal Airport (FAA ID: FRR)
- Front Royal - Warren County Airport lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> miles to the west of Springfield.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Front Royal - Warren County Airport
- Winchester Rgnl. (ICAO: KOKV)
- Leesburg Exec. (ICAO: KJYO)
- Warrenton - Fauquier Airport (ICAO: KHWY)
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Culpeper Rgnl. (ICAO: KCJR)
- Manassas Muni. (HEF/KHEF)
- Luray Caverns Airport (FAA ID: W45)
- Luray Caverns Airport lies 32 miles [51.5 km]<2> miles to the west southwest of Springfield.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Luray Caverns Airport
- Eastern West Virginia Rgnl. (MRB/KMRB)
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Virginia
About Fauquier County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Springfield. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Fauquier County: www.fauquiercounty.gov/
The official website for State of Virginia: https://www.virginia.gov/
|<1>||When we are planning a trip (for example, to Springfield), we usually look for the obvious: the choice of airlines that fly into the airport, the number of flights, the connections we have to make, which car rentals are available, etc. We also look for sights and attractions that we might find between any given airport and our destination - we do love exploring. We're willing to fly into a more distant airport if we can get the services and amenities that we like. Even though our choice of airport might be inconvenient to others, it usually gives us a better trip.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Springfield) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Springfield. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 38.9087, Longitude: -77.9747 In this case, the coordinates for Springfield have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).