Welcome to Petersburg ...
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Petersburg has a population of 30,593 people<1> (see below for details).
Petersburg is 70 feet [21 m] above sea level.<2>.
Time Zone: Petersburg lies in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
Petersburg is located in the (804) area code.
The ZIP code for Petersburg: 23803<3>
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Petersburg had an population of 30,593 people. This is a decrease of 5.64% since the 2010 Census (or a decrease of 9.33% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Petersburg had a population of 32,420 people.
The population of Petersburg represents 0.41% of the total population of Virginia (which has 8,001,024 people), making it the state's 19th most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 32,420 people, the population of Petersburg decreased 3.91% from the 2000 Census (with a count of 33,740 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Petersburg.
Communities Also Named Petersburg ...
While we believe that this Petersburg is located in , we know of another 2 Virginia communities named Petersburg. Those communities are located in the following : Dinwiddie and Fauquier County.
Beyond Virginia, there are 54 communities that are also named Petersburg - they are located in Alaska, California (2), Delaware, Georgia, Illinois (3), Indiana (2), Iowa (2), Kansas (6), Kentucky (3), Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri (4), Nebraska, New Jersey (3), New York, North Carolina (3), North Dakota, Ohio (2), Oklahoma, Ontario, Oregon, Pennsylvania (4), Tennessee (2), Texas (2), West Virginia and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Petersburg.
Communities near Petersburg ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Petersburg.
- Hopewell [Hopewell City]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hopewell
- Hopewell [Hopewell City] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the northeast of Petersburg
- Population from the 2020 Census: 22,375 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hopewell
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Hopewell<5>
- Stony Creek [Sussex County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Stony Creek
- Stony Creek [Sussex County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<4> to the south of Petersburg
- Population from the 2020 Census: 173 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Stony Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Stony Creek
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Stony Creek<5>
- Maitland Village [Dinwiddie County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Maitland Village
- Maitland Village [Dinwiddie County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the southwest of Petersburg
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Maitland Village have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Maitland Village
- Matoaca [Chesterfield County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Matoaca
- Matoaca [Chesterfield County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the west of Petersburg
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Matoaca
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Addison [Dinwiddie County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Addison
- Addison [Dinwiddie County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<4> to the west of Petersburg
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Addison
- Screamersville [Chesterfield County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Screamersville
- Screamersville [Chesterfield County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the northeast of Petersburg
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Screamersville have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Chester [Chesterfield County]
- Bermuda Hundred [Chesterfield County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bermuda Hundred
- Bermuda Hundred [Chesterfield County] was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the northeast of Petersburg
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Bermuda Hundred. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Meadowville [Chesterfield County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Meadowville
- Meadowville [Chesterfield County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the northeast of Petersburg
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Meadowville
- Chesterfield Court House [Chesterfield County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chesterfield Court House
- Chesterfield Court House [Chesterfield County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<4> to the northwest of Petersburg
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Chesterfield Court House have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chesterfield Court House
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Petersburg. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Petersburg.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Petersburg. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Petersburg.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Petersburg. Our list includes 111 papers. See our Newspapers Page for Petersburg.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Petersburg ...
Looking for more information about Petersburg? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Petersburg, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Petersburg.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Virginia
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Petersburg. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Virginia: https://www.virginia.gov/
|<1>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Petersburg.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Petersburg - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Petersburg). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Petersburg or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Petersburg) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Petersburg. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from PetersburgOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Petersburg. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 37.2281, Longitude: -77.4017 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|