When we're on the road, rather than always picking an airport that is close to our destination, we try to see if there might be another airport that would better fit our travel plans.<1> To help with your planning, the following list of airports is organized by type and proximity to Mount Carmel.
Please keep in mind that these airports were chosen based on their air-distance from Mount Carmel. You should check the map and see how accessible they are when considering one airport over another.
For each of the airports listed below, we've linked to websites where detailed information about the airport can be found.
Of the airports that we know about, these are some of the closest to Mount Carmel.
Large Airports ...
- Piedmont Triad Intl. (GSO/KGSO)
- Charlotte - Douglas Intl. (CLT/KCLT)
- McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS/KTYS)
- Raleigh - Durham Intl. (RDU/KRDU)
- Fayetteville Rgnl. (FAY/KFAY)
- Morgantown Muni. (MGW/KMGW)
Smaller Airports with Scheduled Flights / Air Taxi Service ...
- Tri-Cities Rgnl. (TRI/KTRI)
- Raleigh County Meml. (BKW/KBKW)
- Smith Reynolds Airport (INT/KINT)
- Greeneville Muni. (GCY/KGCY)
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Roanoke Rgnl. - Woodrum Fld. (ROA/KROA)
- Greenbrier Valley Airport (LWB/KLWB)
- Yeager Airport (CRW/KCRW)
General Aviation Airports ...
- Mountain Empire Airport (ICAO: KMKJ)
- Tazewell Co. Airport (ICAO: KJFZ)
- Ashe Co. Airport (ICAO: KGEV)
- Virginia Highlands Airport (ICAO: KVJI)
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Mercer Co. Airport (BLF/KBLF)
- Johnson Co. Airport (FAA ID: 6A4)
- Johnson County Airport lies 35 miles [56.3 km]<2> miles to the south southwest of Mount Carmel.
- Official website: * unknown
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Johnson County Airport
- Twin Co. Airport (ICAO: KHLX)
- Welch Muni. (FAA ID: I25)
- Welch Municipal Airport lies 39 miles [62.8 km]<2> miles to the north of Mount Carmel.
- Official website: * unknown
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Welch Municipal Airport
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Search for a Community located in Virginia
About Smyth County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Mount Carmel. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Smyth County: www.smythcounty.org/
The official website for State of Virginia: https://www.virginia.gov/
|<1>||When we are planning a trip (for example, to Mount Carmel), we usually look for the obvious: the choice of airlines that fly into the airport, the number of flights, the connections we have to make, which car rentals are available, etc. We also look for sights and attractions that we might find between any given airport and our destination - we do love exploring. We're willing to fly into a more distant airport if we can get the services and amenities that we like. Even though our choice of airport might be inconvenient to others, it usually gives us a better trip.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Mount Carmel) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Mount Carmel. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Mount CarmelOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Mount Carmel. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 36.8531, Longitude: -81.4771 |