Welcome to Bumpass ...
Bumpass is primarily located in Louisa County<1>. A portion of Bumpass extends into Spotsylvania County and Hanover County.
The origin (or the toponymy) of Bumpass: Named after Captain John T. Bumpass Sr. (1822-1884), an early settler in this area.
The community of Bumpass has also been called Bumpas. and Bumpass Junction (and there are additional names). For more information about the names of Bumpass, see The Names of Bumpass on our Genealogy Page.
Bumpass is 320 feet [98 m] above sea level.<2>.
Time Zone: Bumpass lies in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
Bumpass is located in the (540) area code.
The ZIP code for Bumpass: 23024<3>
Communities near Bumpass ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Bumpass.
- Louisa [Louisa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Louisa
- Louisa [Louisa County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<4> to the west of Bumpass
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Louisa have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Estimated population in 2019: 1,733 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Louisa
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Louisa<6>
- Mineral [Louisa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mineral
- Mineral [Louisa County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the west of Bumpass
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mineral have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Estimated population in 2019: 523 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mineral
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Mineral<6>
- Beaverdam [Hanover County]
- Lewiston [Spotsylvania County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lewiston
- Lewiston [Spotsylvania County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the north of Bumpass
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lewiston
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Partlow [Spotsylvania County]
- Cuckoo [Louisa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cuckoo
- Cuckoo [Louisa County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the west of Bumpass
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cuckoo
- Glenora [Spotsylvania County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Glenora
- Glenora [Spotsylvania County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the north of Bumpass
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Glenora
- Montpelier [Hanover County]
- Marye [Spotsylvania County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marye
- Marye [Spotsylvania County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<4> to the northeast of Bumpass
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marye
- Margo [Spotsylvania County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Margo
- Margo [Spotsylvania County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the north of Bumpass
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Margo
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Bumpass. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Bumpass.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Bumpass. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Bumpass.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Bumpass. See our Newspapers Page for Bumpass.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Bumpass ...
Looking for more information about Bumpass? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Bumpass, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Bumpass.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Virginia
About Louisa County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Bumpass. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Louisa County: www.louisacounty.com/
The official website for State of Virginia: https://www.virginia.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Virginia's counties, including Louisa, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Bumpass - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Bumpass). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Bumpass or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Bumpass) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Bumpass. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Bumpass
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Bumpass. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 37.9636, Longitude: -77.7374
|<5>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|