Welcome to Slavanka ...
So far, we have found very little information about Slavanka. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Slavanka to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Slavanka, please Contact Us.
Since we don't have the location of Slavanka, we have used what we believe to be its closest cemetery as an estimate.
Slavanka was settled circa 1899.
The origin (or the toponymy) of Slavanka: A Doukhobor<2> Community, belonging to the South Colony, where the refugees largely came from the Russian villages of Elizavetpol and Slavyanka.
The community of Slavanka has also been called Slavianka. and Slavyanka. For more information about the names of Slavanka, see The Names of Slavanka on our Genealogy Page.
The location where Slavanka once stood is in the (306) and (639)<3> area codes.
Communities near Slavanka ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Slavanka.
- Duck Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Duck Lake
- Duck Lake lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<4> to the east of Slavanka
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Duck Lake came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Duck Lake
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Duck Lake<5>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hepburn
- Hepburn lies 18 miles [29 km]<4> to the south of Slavanka
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hepburn came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hepburn
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Blaine Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Leask
- Leask lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the north of Slavanka
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Leask
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Laird
- Laird lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<4> to the southeast of Slavanka
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Laird
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marcelin
- Marcelin lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the northwest of Slavanka
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marcelin
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Krydor
- Krydor lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the west of Slavanka
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Krydor
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Carlton
- Carlton lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the east of Slavanka
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Carlton came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Carlton
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Saskatchewan
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Saskatchewan: www.saskatchewan.ca/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Slavanka, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||The Doukhobors (or Doukhabours) are a Christian sect that were persecuted in the late 1800's by the Russian government and the Russian Orthodox Church. To avoid further persecution, many of the Doukhobors sought refuge in the Canadian Provinces of Alberta, British Columbia and in this case, Saskatchewan.Once in Canada, the Doukhobors continued their communal traditions by forming Colonies, with small villages (such as Slavanka) forming within each Colony.|
|<3>||Area code (639) is an overlay for area code (306).|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Slavanka) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Slavanka. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from SlavankaOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Slavanka. We have been unable to find the coordinates for Slavanka. That said, to estimate its location, we are using the latitude and longitude of what we believe to be a nearby cemetery (likely the town cemetery). The cemetery that we've chosen is named Slavanka Doukhobor Cemetery and it is located at 52.7914, -106.6820 [Map].|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|