Census Data for Orient ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Orient a population of 61 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Orient a population of 63 people.
The town of Orient is located in Faulk County. The 2010 Census gave Faulk County; a population of 2,364 people. This means that Orient had 2.66% of the county's total population, making it Faulk's 3rd most populous community.
At the same time, South Dakota had a population of 814,180 people.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Orient has a total area of 0.3 square miles [0.8 km²]. Of this total, 0.29 square miles [0.8 km²] is land, with the balance (2%) being water (0 square miles [0 km²]).
Faulk County has a land area of 981 square miles [2,542.7 km²]. At 0.29 square miles [0.8 km²], Orient has 0.03% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a town like Orient, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the town.
- Things like population, area and housing for Orient reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Orient might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 44° 54' 6" (or 44.9°)
- Lon: -99° 5' 19" (or -99.09°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Orient had 38 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 63 people, this averages 1.66 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Orient had a land area of 0.29 square miles [0.8 km²]. This translates to 126.7 Housing Units per square mile [48.91 housing units/km²].
Faulk County ...
The community of Orient is located in Faulk County<4>.
The county had a population of 2,364 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 63 people, Orient represented 2.66% of the county's total.
In addition, where the town of Orient has a population density of 210 people per square mile [81.1 people/km²], Faulk County averages 2.41 people per square mile [0.93 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Faulk County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Orient, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Orient. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Orient or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Orient, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Orient.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 44.901710° (or 44°54'6" N)
- Lon: -99.088712° (or -99°5'19" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 44.901922° (or 44°54'6" N)
- Lon: -99.088595° (or -99°5'18" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 83 feet to the south<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#1267525) to Orient. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Orient. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 44.902754° (or 44°54'9" N)
- Lon: -99.088718° (or -99°5'19" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 380.6 feet to the south<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Orient. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Orient.
Miscellaneous Information for Orient ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Faulk County or the town of Orient:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Orient:
- GNIS ID for Orient: 1267525
- GNIS ID for Faulk County: 1265760
- GNIS ID for State of South Dakota: 1785534
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Orient is located in Census Region #2 (the Midwest Region) and Division #4 (the West North-Central Division).
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Orient.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within South Dakota
About Faulk County
About South Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Orient. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of South Dakota's counties, including Faulk, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 158 degrees and a distance of 83 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 180 degrees and a distance of 380.6 feet.|