Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Miranda, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Miranda and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Miranda:
- 44.971919, -98.964272
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Miranda
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Miranda ...
We have found five communities that share the name Miranda.
Within South Dakota, the name Miranda is unique.
Beyond South Dakota, we know of another five communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Humboldt County
- This Miranda is located in Humboldt County and lies 1,299 miles [2,090.5 km]<1> to the west of the Miranda that is located in Faulk County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Miranda
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Humboldt County community of Miranda.
- Hillsborough County
- This Miranda is located in Hillsborough County and lies 1,483 miles [2,386.7 km]<1> to the southeast of the Miranda that is located in Faulk County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Miranda
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Hillsborough County community of Miranda.
- Nicholas County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Kentucky community of Miranda [Nicholas County].
- North Carolina
- Rowan County
- This community is historic<3> and we have very little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the North Carolina community of Miranda [Rowan County].
- Overton County
- This community is historic<3> and we have very little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Tennessee community of Miranda [Overton County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Miranda ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Florence [Hand County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Florence have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Florence
- Florence [Hand County] was located 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the south of Miranda
- Estimated population in 2014: 374 people
- Highmore [Hyde County]
- Polo [Hand County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Polo have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Polo
- Polo [Hand County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the southwest of Miranda
- Estimated population in 2014: 227 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Polo
- Redfield [Spink County]
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Miranda. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Judith Evelyn (Actress)
- Actress. She was born in Seneca (South Dakota) on Saturday March 20, 1909 and died in New York (New York) on Sunday May 7, 1967 at the age of 58. She is buried at Kensico Cemetery (Westchester County, New York).
- Seneca is located 27 miles [43.5 km] to the west of Miranda.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Judith Evelyn<6>
How Far From Miranda to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Miranda to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Miranda and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Faulkton, which is the Seat of Faulk County and lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the west northwest. If you could walk a straight line from Miranda to Faulkton, with an average speed<7> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take four to five hours to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take a little over three hours.
- Pierre, which is the State Capital of South Dakota, lies 78 miles [125.5 km] to the west southwest (WSW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than two hours, a buggy would take most of three days and walking would take 5 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,197 miles [1,926.4 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take about three full days, a buggy would take 47 days and walking would take 68 days.
- The shortest distance<8> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,400 miles [10,299.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,162 miles [11,526.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,092 miles [8,194.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<11>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in South Dakota
About Faulk County
About South Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Miranda. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Miranda) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Miranda. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.9719, Longitude: -98.9643 In this case, the coordinates for Miranda have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Miranda could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Miranda, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<7>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<8>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Miranda to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 322.402 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 320.851 degrees.|
|<11>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 313.805 degrees.||