Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Milesville, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Milesville and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Milesville:
- 44.459081, -101.678776
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Milesville
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Milesville ...
We have found three communities that share the name Milesville.
Within South Dakota, the name Milesville is unique.
Beyond South Dakota, we know of another three communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Dakota County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Minnesota community of Milesville [Dakota County].
- North Carolina
- Caswell County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the North Carolina community of Milesville [Caswell County].
- Allegheny County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Pennsylvania community of Milesville [Allegheny County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Milesville ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Cherry Creek [Ziebach County]
- Cottonwood [Jackson County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cottonwood have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cottonwood
- Cottonwood [Jackson County] lies 35 miles [56.3 km]<2> to the south of Milesville
- Estimated population in 2019: 10 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cottonwood
- Elevenmile Corner [Haakon County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Elevenmile Corner have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elevenmile Corner
- Elevenmile Corner [Haakon County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the south of Milesville
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elevenmile Corner
- Grindstone [Haakon County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Grindstone have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grindstone
- Grindstone [Haakon County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the southwest of Milesville
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grindstone
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Marcus [Meade County]
- Plainview [Meade County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Plainview have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Plainview
- Plainview [Meade County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the west of Milesville
- Estimated population in 2014: 55 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Plainview
- Red Scaffold [Ziebach County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Red Scaffold have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Red Scaffold
- Red Scaffold [Ziebach County] lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> to the north of Milesville
- Estimated population in 2014: 372 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Red Scaffold
- White Owl [Meade County]
How Far From Milesville to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Milesville to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Milesville and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Philip, which is the Seat of Haakon County and lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the south. If you could walk a straight line from Milesville to Philip, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just over a day.
- Pierre, which is the State Capital of South Dakota, lies 67 miles [107.8 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than two hours, a buggy would take about three full days and walking would take three full days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,321 miles [2,125.9 km] to the east (E). Driving would take about three full days, a buggy would take 52 days and walking would take 75 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,508 miles [10,473.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,272 miles [11,703.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,212 miles [8,387.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for South Dakota
About Haakon County
About South Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Milesville. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Milesville could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Milesville) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Milesville. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Milesville
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Milesville. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.4591, Longitude: -101.6788
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Milesville to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 324.387 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 323.073 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 315.443 degrees.||