Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Mellette, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Mellette and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Mellette:
- 45.153865, -98.498427
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Mellette
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Mellette ...
We have found one communities that share the name Mellette.
Within South Dakota, the name Mellette is unique.
Beyond South Dakota, there is another community also named Mellette in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- McIntosh County
- This Mellette is located in McIntosh County and lies 701 miles [1,128.2 km]<1> to the south southeast of the Mellette that is located in Spink County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mellette
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the McIntosh County community of Mellette.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Mellette ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bath [Brown County]
- Craven [Edmunds County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Craven
- Craven [Edmunds County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the northwest of Mellette
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Craven
- Craven Corner [Edmunds County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Craven Corner
- Craven Corner [Edmunds County] lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the northwest of Mellette
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Craven Corner
- James [Brown County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for James have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for James
- James [Brown County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the northeast of Mellette
- Jump to Google Maps centered on James
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Randolph [Brown County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Randolph have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Randolph
- Randolph [Brown County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the northeast of Mellette
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Randolph
- Raymond [Clark County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Raymond have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Raymond
- Raymond [Clark County] lies 32 miles [51.5 km]<1> to the southeast of Mellette
- Estimated population in 2019: 54 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Raymond
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Raymond<2>
- Redfield [Spink County]
- Rudolph [Brown County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rudolph have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rudolph
- Rudolph [Brown County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the north of Mellette
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rudolph
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Mellette. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- William Payne Stewart (Professional golf)
- Professional golf. He was born in Springfield (Missouri) on Wednesday January 30, 1957 and died in Mina (South Dakota) on Monday October 25, 1999 at the age of 42. He is buried at Hazelwood Cemetery (Greene County, Missouri).
- Mina is located 23 miles [37 km] to the northwest of Mellette.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: William Payne Stewart<4>
How Far From Mellette to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a city such as Mellette to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Mellette and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Redfield, which is the Seat of Spink County and lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the south. If you could walk a straight line from Mellette to Redfield, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 6 hours.
- Pierre, which is the State Capital of South Dakota, lies 104 miles [167.4 km] to the west southwest (WSW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than two hours, a buggy would take 4 days and walking would take 6 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,178 miles [1,895.8 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take about three full days, a buggy would take 46 days and walking would take 67 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,376 miles [10,261.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,138 miles [11,487.5 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,067 miles [8,154.5 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in South Dakota
About Spink County
About South Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Mellette. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Mellette) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Mellette. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Mellette
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Mellette. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.1539, Longitude: -98.4984 In this case, the coordinates for Mellette have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Mellette to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 322.065 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 320.488 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 313.503 degrees.||