Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Marty, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Marty and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Marty:
- 42.993599, -98.426131
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Marty
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Marty ...
We have found three communities that share the name Marty.
Within South Dakota, the name Marty is unique.
Beyond South Dakota, we know of another three communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Yolo County
- This community is historic<1> and we have very little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the California community of Marty [Yolo County].
- Stearns County
- This Marty is located in Stearns County and lies 261 miles [420 km]<2> to the northeast of the Marty that is located in Charles Mix County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marty
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Stearns County community of Marty.
- Jackson County
- This Marty is located in Jackson County and lies 587 miles [944.7 km]<2> to the south of the Marty that is located in Charles Mix County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marty
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Jackson County community of Marty.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Marty ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Greenwood [Charles Mix County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Greenwood have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Greenwood
- Greenwood [Charles Mix County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<2> to the south of Marty
- Estimated population in 2014: 7 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greenwood
- Gross [Boyd County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gross
- Gross [Boyd County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<2> to the southwest of Marty
- Estimated population in 2019: 2 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gross
- Lake Andes [Charles Mix County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lake Andes have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lake Andes
- Lake Andes [Charles Mix County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the northwest of Marty
- Estimated population in 2019: 821 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lake Andes
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Lake Andes<4>
- Lynch [Boyd County]
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Paddock [Holt County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Paddock have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Paddock
- Paddock [Holt County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<2> to the southwest of Marty
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Paddock
- Pickstown [Charles Mix County]
- Redbird [Holt County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Redbird
- Redbird [Holt County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the south of Marty
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Redbird
- Rosedale [Boyd County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rosedale have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rosedale
- Rosedale [Boyd County] was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<2> to the southwest of Marty
How Far From Marty to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Marty to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Marty and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Lake Andes, which is the Seat of Charles Mix County and lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the north northwest. If you could walk a straight line from Marty to Lake Andes, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take five to six hours to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take nearly four hours.
- Pierre, which is the State Capital of South Dakota, lies 134 miles [215.7 km] to the northwest (NW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than three hours, a buggy would take 6 days and walking would take 8 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,147 miles [1,845.9 km] to the east (E). Driving would take over two days, a buggy would take 45 days and walking would take 66 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,492 miles [10,447.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,250 miles [11,667.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,168 miles [8,317.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for South Dakota
About Charles Mix County
About South Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Marty. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Marty, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Marty) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Marty. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Marty
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Marty. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 42.9936, Longitude: -98.4261
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Marty to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 321.939 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 320.079 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 313.908 degrees.||