Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Lodgepole, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Lodgepole and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Lodgepole:
- 45.804722, -102.660714
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Lodgepole
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Lodgepole ...
We have found four communities that share the name Lodgepole.
Within South Dakota, the name Lodgepole is unique.
Beyond South Dakota, we know of another four communities that are located throughout in the United States and Canada. Of these four communities, three are located in the United States and one is in Canada.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- This Lodgepole lies 756 miles [1,216.7 km]<1> to the northwest of the Lodgepole that is located in Perkins County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lodgepole
- Lassen County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the California community of Lodgepole [Lassen County].
- Blaine County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Montana community of Lodgepole [Blaine County].
- Cheyenne County
- This Lodgepole is located in Cheyenne County and lies 321 miles [516.6 km]<1> to the south of the Lodgepole that is located in Perkins County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lodgepole
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Cheyenne County community of Lodgepole.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Lodgepole ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bison [Perkins County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bison have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bison
- Bison [Perkins County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the southeast of Lodgepole
- Estimated population in 2019: 322 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bison
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Bison<4>
- Lemmon [Perkins County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lemmon have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lemmon
- Lemmon [Perkins County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the east of Lodgepole
- Estimated population in 2019: 1,174 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lemmon
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Lemmon<4>
- Meadow [Perkins County]
- Prairie City [Perkins County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Prairie City have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Prairie City
- Prairie City [Perkins County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the south of Lodgepole
- Population from the 2010 Census: 23 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Prairie City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Prairie City<4>
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Ralph [Harding County]
- Reeder [Adams County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Reeder have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Reeder
- Reeder [Adams County] lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the northwest of Lodgepole
- Estimated population in 2019: 148 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Reeder
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Reeder<4>
- Shadehill [Perkins County]
- Summerville [Perkins County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Summerville have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Summerville
- Summerville [Perkins County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the east of Lodgepole
- Estimated population in 2014: 2,118 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Summerville
How Far From Lodgepole to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Lodgepole to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Lodgepole and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Bison, which is the Seat of Perkins County and lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the south southeast. If you could walk a straight line from Lodgepole to Bison, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of a day.
- Pierre, which is the State Capital of South Dakota, lies 150 miles [241.4 km] to the southeast (SE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than three hours, a buggy would take 6 days and walking would take 9 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,384 miles [2,227.3 km] to the east (E). Driving would take about three full days, a buggy would take 54 days and walking would take 79 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,460 miles [10,396.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,225 miles [11,627.5 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,179 miles [8,334.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for South Dakota
About Perkins County
About South Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Lodgepole. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Lodgepole) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Lodgepole. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Lodgepole
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Lodgepole. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.8047, Longitude: -102.6607 In this case, the coordinates for Lodgepole have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Lodgepole could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Lodgepole to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 325.175 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 324.132 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 315.761 degrees.||