When we're on the road, rather than always picking an airport that is close to our destination, we try to see if there might be another airport that would better fit our travel plans.<1> To help with your planning, the following list of airports is organized by type and proximity to Iona.
Please keep in mind that these airports were chosen based on their air-distance from Iona. You should check the map and see how accessible they are when considering one airport over another.
For each of the airports listed below, we've linked to websites where detailed information about the airport can be found.
Of the airports that we know about, these are some of the closest to Iona.
Large Airports ...
Smaller Airports with Scheduled Flights / Air Taxi Service ...
- Pierre Rgnl. (PIR/KPIR)
- Huron Rgnl. (HON/KHON)
General Aviation Airports ...
- Chamberlain Muni. (ICAO: K9V9)
- Gregory Muni. (FAA ID: 9D1)
- Gregory Municipal Airport lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> miles to the south of Iona.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gregory Municipal Airport
- Winner Rgnl. (ICAO: KICR)
- Burke Muni.
- Burke Municipal Airport lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> miles to the south southeast of Iona.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Burke Municipal Airport
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Kimball Muni. (FAA ID: 6A6)
- Kimball Municipal Airport lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> miles to the east northeast of Iona.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kimball Municipal Airport
- Platte Muni. (FAA ID: 1D3)
- Platte Municipal Airport lies 31 miles [49.9 km]<2> miles to the east southeast of Iona.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Platte Municipal Airport
- Presho Muni. (FAA ID: 5P5)
- Presho Municipal Airport lies 39 miles [62.8 km]<2> miles to the northwest of Iona.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Presho Municipal Airport
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a South Dakota Community
About Lyman County
About South Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Iona. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
|<1>||When we are planning a trip (for example, to Iona), we usually look for the obvious: the choice of airlines that fly into the airport, the number of flights, the connections we have to make, which car rentals are available, etc. We also look for sights and attractions that we might find between any given airport and our destination - we do love exploring. We're willing to fly into a more distant airport if we can get the services and amenities that we like. Even though our choice of airport might be inconvenient to others, it usually gives us a better trip.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Iona) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Iona. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Iona
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Iona. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.5432, Longitude: -99.4250