When we're on the road, rather than always picking an airport that is close to our destination, we try to see if there might be another airport that would better fit our travel plans.<1> To help with your planning, the following list of airports is organized by type and proximity to Houghton.
Please keep in mind that these airports were chosen based on their air-distance from Houghton. You should check the map and see how accessible they are when considering one airport over another.
For each of the airports listed below, we've linked to websites where detailed information about the airport can be found.
Of the airports that we know about, these are some of the closest to Houghton.
Large Airports ...
Smaller Airports with Scheduled Flights / Air Taxi Service ...
- Aberdeen Rgnl. (ABR/KABR)
- Watertown Rgnl. (ATY/KATY)
- Jamestown Rgnl. (JMS/KJMS)
- Huron Rgnl. (HON/KHON)
- Hector Intl. (FAR/KFAR)
General Aviation Airports ...
- Groton Muni. (FAA ID: 2E6)
- Groton Municipal Airport lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> miles to the south southeast of Houghton.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Groton Municipal Airport
- Britton Muni. (FAA ID: BTN)
- Britton Municipal Airport lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> miles to the east of Houghton.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Britton Municipal Airport
- Ellendale Muni. (FAA ID: 4E7)
- Ellendale Municipal Airport lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> miles to the northwest of Houghton.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ellendale Municipal Airport
- Oakes Muni. (FAA ID: 2D5)
- Oakes Municipal Airport lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<2> miles to the north northeast of Houghton.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oakes Municipal Airport
- LaMoure Rott Muni. (FAA ID: 4F9)
- LaMoure Rott Municipal Airport lies 40 miles [64.4 km]<2> miles to the north of Houghton.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on LaMoure Rott Municipal Airport
- Gwinner - Roger Melroe Fld. (FAA ID: GWR)
- Gwinner - Roger Melroe Field lies 41 miles [66 km]<2> miles to the northeast of Houghton.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gwinner - Roger Melroe Field
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in South Dakota
About Brown County
About South Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Houghton. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Brown County: www.brown.sd.us/
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
|<1>||When we are planning a trip (for example, to Houghton), we usually look for the obvious: the choice of airlines that fly into the airport, the number of flights, the connections we have to make, which car rentals are available, etc. We also look for sights and attractions that we might find between any given airport and our destination - we do love exploring. We're willing to fly into a more distant airport if we can get the services and amenities that we like. Even though our choice of airport might be inconvenient to others, it usually gives us a better trip.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Houghton) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Houghton. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Houghton
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Houghton. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.7628, Longitude: -98.2096