Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Hosmer, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Hosmer and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Hosmer:
- 45.577733, -99.473355
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Hosmer
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Hosmer ...
We have found two communities that share the name Hosmer.
Within South Dakota, the name Hosmer is unique.
Beyond South Dakota, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in the United States and Canada. Of these two communities, one is located in the United States and the other in Canada.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- British Columbia
- This Hosmer lies 771 miles [1,240.8 km]<1> to the west northwest of the Hosmer that is located in Edmunds County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hosmer
- Pike County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Indiana community of Hosmer [Pike County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Hosmer ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Craven [Edmunds County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Craven
- Craven [Edmunds County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the east of Hosmer
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Craven
- Craven Corner [Edmunds County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Craven Corner
- Craven Corner [Edmunds County] lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the east of Hosmer
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Craven Corner
- Eureka [McPherson County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Eureka have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Eureka
- Eureka [McPherson County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the northwest of Hosmer
- Estimated population in 2019: 826 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Eureka
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Eureka<4>
- Greenway [McPherson County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Greenway have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Greenway
- Greenway [McPherson County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the northwest of Hosmer
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greenway
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Hillsview [McPherson County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hillsview have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hillsview
- Hillsview [McPherson County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the northwest of Hosmer
- Estimated population in 2019: 3 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hillsview
- Hoven [Potter County]
- Java [Walworth County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Java have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Java
- Java [Walworth County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the west of Hosmer
- Estimated population in 2019: 127 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Java
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Java<4>
- Long Lake [McPherson County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Long Lake have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Long Lake
- Long Lake [McPherson County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the northeast of Hosmer
- Estimated population in 2019: 31 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Long Lake
How Far From Hosmer to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a city such as Hosmer to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Hosmer and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Ipswich, which is the Seat of Edmunds County and lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the east southeast. If you could walk a straight line from Hosmer to Ipswich, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of a day.
- Pierre, which is the State Capital of South Dakota, lies 92 miles [148.1 km] to the south southwest (SSW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than two hours, a buggy would take most of three days and walking would take 6 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,231 miles [1,981.1 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take about three full days, a buggy would take 48 days and walking would take 70 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,382 miles [10,270.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,145 miles [11,498.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,081 miles [8,177.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in South Dakota
About Edmunds County
About South Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Hosmer. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Hosmer) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Hosmer. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Hosmer
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Hosmer. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.5777, Longitude: -99.4734
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Hosmer could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Hosmer to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 322.793 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 321.373 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 313.966 degrees.||