Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Highmore, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Highmore and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Highmore:
- 44.518174, -99.441683
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Highmore
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Highmore ...
We have found one communities that share the name Highmore.
Within South Dakota, the name Highmore is unique.
Beyond South Dakota, there is another community also named Highmore in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Garfield County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Colorado community of Highmore [Garfield County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Highmore ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Blunt [Hughes County]
- Canning [Hughes County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Canning have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Canning
- Canning [Hughes County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the west of Highmore
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Canning
- Florence [Hand County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Florence have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Florence
- Florence [Hand County] was located 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the northeast of Highmore
- Estimated population in 2014: 374 people
- Holabird [Hyde County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Holabird have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Holabird
- Holabird [Hyde County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the west of Highmore
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Holabird
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Holabird<3>
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Lees Corner [Buffalo County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lees Corner have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lees Corner
- Lees Corner [Buffalo County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the south of Highmore
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lees Corner
- Polo [Hand County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Polo have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Polo
- Polo [Hand County] lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<2> to the northeast of Highmore
- Estimated population in 2014: 227 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Polo
- Sweetland [Hand County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sweetland have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sweetland
- Sweetland [Hand County] was located 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the southeast of Highmore
How Far From Highmore to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a city such as Highmore to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Highmore and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Pierre, which is the State Capital of South Dakota, lies 44 miles [70.8 km]<2> to the west southwest (WSW). If you could walk a straight line from Highmore to Pierre, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take about three full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of two days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,213 miles [1,952.1 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take about three full days, a buggy would take 48 days and walking would take 69 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,439 miles [10,362.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,201 miles [11,588.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,131 miles [8,257.5 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of South Dakota
About Hyde County
About South Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Highmore. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Highmore could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Highmore) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Highmore. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Highmore
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Highmore. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.5182, Longitude: -99.4417
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Highmore to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 322.737 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 321.182 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 314.167 degrees.||