Welcome to Read ...
Although we found mention of Read during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Read was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Read to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Read, please Contact Us.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Read might be (or was) located is in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: EST- Heure Normale de l'Est (HNE), EDT- Heure Avancée de l'Est (HAE).
We believe that Read would be found within the (613) & (343)<2> area codes.
Communities Also Named Read ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 4 communities that are also named Read - they are located in Colorado, Iowa, Utah and West Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Read.
Communities near Read ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Read.
- Prince Edward
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Prince Edward
- Prince Edward lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the south of Read
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Prince Edward came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Prince Edward
- Greater Napanee
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Greater Napanee
- Greater Napanee lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<3> to the southeast of Read
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Greater Napanee came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greater Napanee
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Blessington
- Blessington lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the southwest of Read
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blessington
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ebenezer
- Ebenezer lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the east of Read
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ebenezer
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Halston
- Halston lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the west of Read
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Halston came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Halston
- Lonsdale Station
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lonsdale Station
- Lonsdale Station lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the southeast of Read
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lonsdale Station
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lonsdale
- Lonsdale lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the southeast of Read
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lonsdale
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Read ...
Looking for more information about Read? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Read, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Read.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Ontario
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Read and then turned east". While Read could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Read as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Read could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Area code (343) is an overlay for area code (613).|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Read) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Read. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from ReadOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Read. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.3100, Longitude: -77.2028 |
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|