Our Genealogy Helper for Prosperity ...
Although we found mention of Prosperity during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Prosperity was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Prosperity (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Prosperity. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
It's still very early in our research, but as we gather more information it will be added to this page.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Prosperity:
- Websites specific to Ontario
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Ontario
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Ontario
Cemeteries Near Prosperity ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Prosperity.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Prosperity covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- St. Augustine RC Cemetery
- Westfield Cemetery
- Dungannon Cemetery
- Ball's Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Ball's Cemetery
- Ball's Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the south of Prosperity.
- Ball's Cemetery has also been known as:
- Ball's Burial Ground / Ball's Methodist Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ball's Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2264299<2>
- Lutheran / German Evangelical Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Lutheran / German Evangelical Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Lutheran / German Evangelical Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- The Lutheran / German Evangelical Cemetery is located 3 miles [4.8 km]<3> to the southeast of Blyth.Lutheran / German Evangelical Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km] to the southeast of Prosperity.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lutheran / German Evangelical Cemetery
- Blyth Union Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Blyth Union Cemetery
- The Blyth Union Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the west of Blyth.More accurately, Blyth Union Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the southeast of Prosperity.
- Blyth Union Cemetery has also been known as:
- Union Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blyth Union Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2177169<2>
- Continue List ...
- Brandon Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Brandon Cemetery
- Brandon Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the east of Prosperity.
- Brandon Cemetery has also been known as:
- Brandon - Belgrave Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brandon Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2358407<2>
- Greenhill Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Greenhill Cemetery
- The Greenhill Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the southwest of Lucknow.Greenhill Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the north of Prosperity.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greenhill Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2173959<2>
- Colborne Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Colborne Cemetery
- The Colborne Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the east of Goderich.To be more precise, Colborne Cemetery lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<3> to the southwest of Prosperity.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Colborne Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2310774<2>
- Maitland Cemetery
- St. Michael's RC Cemetery
- South Kinloss Cemetery
- St. Joseph's RC Cemetery
- Hope Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hope Cemetery
- Hope Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<3> to the north of Prosperity.
- Hope Cemetery has also been known as:
- Hope Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hope Cemetery
- Langside Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Langside Cemetery
- Langside Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Prosperity.
- Langside Cemetery has also been known as:
- Langside - Tiffins Cemetery
- Tiffins Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Langside Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2355768<2>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Prosperity. See our List of 1890's Communities around Prosperity.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Ontario
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Prosperity and then turned east". While Prosperity could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Prosperity as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Prosperity could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Ontario community named Prosperity.
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Prosperity) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Prosperity. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Prosperity
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Prosperity. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.8306, Longitude: -81.5392
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|