Welcome to Highland ...
Although we found mention of Highland during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Highland was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Highland to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Highland, please Contact Us.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Highland might be (or was) located is in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: EST- Heure Normale de l'Est (HNE), EDT- Heure Avancée de l'Est (HAE).
We believe that Highland would be found within the (705) and (249)<2> area codes.
Communities Also Named Highland ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 88 communities that are also named Highland - they are located in Alabama (3), Arkansas (3), California (2), Colorado, Connecticut (2), Florida (2), Illinois, Indiana (4), Iowa (2), Kansas (2), Kentucky (4), Louisiana (2), Maine, Maryland (4), Massachusetts (2), Michigan (2), Minnesota (4), Mississippi, Missouri (2), Nebraska, Nevada (2), New Mexico, New York (2), Ohio (2), Oregon (2), Pennsylvania (6), South Carolina (2), South Dakota, Tennessee (6), Texas (6), Utah (2), Virginia (2), Washington (6), West Virginia (2) and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Highland.
Communities near Highland ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Highland.
- Temiskaming Shores
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Temiskaming Shores
- Temiskaming Shores lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the southeast of Highland
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Temiskaming Shores came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Temiskaming Shores
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Temiskaming Shores<5>
- New Liskeard
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for New Liskeard
- New Liskeard lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<3> to the southeast of Highland
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for New Liskeard came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on New Liskeard
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for New Liskeard<5>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Notre Dame du Nord
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Notre Dame du Nord
- Notre Dame du Nord lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the east of Highland
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Notre Dame du Nord came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Notre Dame du Nord
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Latchford
- Latchford lies 18 miles [29 km]<3> to the south of Highland
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Latchford came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Latchford
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Latchford<5>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Charlton
- Charlton lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<3> to the northwest of Highland
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Charlton came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Charlton
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Charlton<5>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Thornloe
- Thornloe lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Highland
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Thornloe came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Thornloe
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hillview
- Hillview lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the southeast of Highland
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hillview
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Highland ...
Looking for more information about Highland? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Highland, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Highland.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Ontario
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Highland and then turned west". While Highland could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Highland as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Highland could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Area code (249) is an overlay for area code (705).|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Highland) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Highland. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Highland
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Highland. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 47.5964, Longitude: -79.8172
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|