Our Genealogy Helper for Deer Lake ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Deer Lake (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Deer Lake. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Deer Lake ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
For example, a typical abbreviation for Deer Lake: Deer Lk.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Deer Lake:
- Websites specific to Ontario
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Ontario
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Ontario
Cemeteries Near Deer Lake ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Deer Lake.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Deer Lake covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Deer Lake Cemetery
- McGillivray Cemetery
- Christ Church Essonville Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Christ Church Essonville Cemetery
- The Christ Church Essonville Cemetery is located outside and to the east of Essonville.More precisely, Christ Church Essonville Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<2> to the west of Deer Lake.
- Christ Church Essonville Cemetery has also been known as:
- Anglican Church / Essonville Anglican Cemetery
- Essonville Anglican Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Christ Church Essonville Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2644202<1>
- Essonville Pioneer Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Essonville Pioneer Cemetery
- The Essonville Pioneer Cemetery is located outside and to the east of Essonville.Essonville Pioneer Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<2> to the west of Deer Lake.
- Essonville Pioneer Cemetery has also been known as:
- Essonville Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Essonville Pioneer Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2644201<1>
- Hillcrest Cemetery
- Our Lady of Mercy Parish Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
- The Mt. Pleasant Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the east of Bancroft.To be more precise, Mt. Pleasant Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<2> to the east of Deer Lake.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2260318<1>
- Trinity Anglican Cemetery
- Lakeview Cemetery
- St. Ignatius RC Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Ignatius RC Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the St. Ignatius RC Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- St. Ignatius RC Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the northeast of Deer Lake.
- St. Ignatius RC Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Ignatius Martyr Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Ignatius RC Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2249893<1>
- Clydesdale United Cemetery
- St. George Cemetery
- Grace Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Grace Cemetery
- The Grace Cemetery is located outside and to the northwest of Maynooth.To be precise, Grace Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the northeast of Deer Lake.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grace Cemetery
- Glamorgan Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Glamorgan Cemetery
- Glamorgan Cemetery lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the southwest of Deer Lake.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Glamorgan Cemetery
- Emmanuel United Church Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Deer Lake. See our List of 1890's Communities around Deer Lake.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Ontario
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Deer Lake. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Deer Lake) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Deer Lake. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Deer LakeOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Deer Lake. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.0560, Longitude: -78.0787 |
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|