Our Genealogy Helper for Dalmeny ...
Although we found mention of Dalmeny during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Dalmeny was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Dalmeny (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Dalmeny. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we begin with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Dalmeny:
- Websites specific to Ontario
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Ontario
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- At this time (Dec 2022), GenDisasters website is currently offline due to a hacker attack. Hopefully they will be back soon.
- Stories from New York
- Stories from Ontario
- Stories from Quebec
Cemeteries Near Dalmeny ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Dalmeny.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Dalmeny covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Reid's Mills Cemetery
- Springhill Community / Osgoode Presbyterian Cemetery
- Jewish Memorial Gardens
- Rideauvale Cemetery
- Elmview Cemetery
- All Saints Anglican Cemetery
- Ormond Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Ormond Cemetery
- Ormond Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the east of Dalmeny.
- Ormond Cemetery has also been known as:
- Ormond Protestant Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ormond Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2334188<2>
- South Gower Cemetery
- Brown's Cemetery
- Kemptville Public Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Kemptville Public Cemetery
- The Kemptville Public Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located in Kemptville.More precisely, Kemptville Public Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<3> to the southwest of Dalmeny.
- Kemptville Public Cemetery has also been known as:
- Kemptville Cemetery
- Kemptville Union Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kemptville Public Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2190814<2>
- Johnston's Corners Community Cemetery
- Moodie Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Moodie Cemetery
- Moodie Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the northwest of Dalmeny.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Moodie Cemetery
- Continue List (172 more) ...
- Capital Memorial Gardens
- Hope Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hope Cemetery
- Hope Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<3> to the north of Dalmeny.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hope Cemetery
- South Mountain Union Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Dalmeny. See our List of 1890's Communities around Dalmeny.
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Dalmeny and then turned west". While Dalmeny could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Dalmeny as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Dalmeny could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Ontario community named Dalmeny.
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Dalmeny) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Dalmeny. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.1461, Longitude: -75.5308 |