Our Genealogy Helper for Copp ...
Although we found mention of Copp during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Copp was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Copp (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Copp. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Copp:
- Websites specific to Ontario
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Ontario
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- At this time (Dec 2022), GenDisasters website is currently offline due to a hacker attack. Hopefully they will be back soon.
- Stories from Ontario
- Stories from Quebec
Cemeteries Near Copp ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Copp.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Copp covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Our Lady Of The Angels Cemetery
- Forest View Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Forest View Cemetery
- Forest View Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the north of Copp.
- Forest View Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Andrew's United Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Forest View Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2277302<2>
- St. Andrew's RC Church Cemetery
- St. Casimir Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Casimir Cemetery
- St. Casimir Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<3> to the north of Copp.
- St. Casimir Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Casimir's Parish Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Casimir Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2420050<2>
- Carlow United Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Carlow United Cemetery
- Carlow United Cemetery lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<3> to the southwest of Copp.
- Carlow United Cemetery has also been known as:
- Carlow White Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Carlow United Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2606345<2>
- Christ Lutheran Church Cemetery
- Emmanuel United Church Cemetery
- Dacre Memorial Cemetery
- St. Columba's Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Columba's Cemetery
- The St. Columba's Cemetery is located outside and to the southwest of Brumsfield.St. Columba's Cemetery lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<3> to the northeast of Copp.
- St. Columba's Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Columba's RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Columba's Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2190827<2>
- Grace Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Grace Cemetery
- The Grace Cemetery is located outside and to the northwest of Maynooth.More accurately, Grace Cemetery lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<3> to the southwest of Copp.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grace Cemetery
- McDonald Burying Ground
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the McDonald Burying Ground
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the McDonald Burying Ground. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- McDonald Burying Ground lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<3> to the northeast of Copp.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on McDonald Burying Ground
- Wesley United Church Cemetery
- Continue List (18 more) ...
- St. Ignatius RC Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Ignatius RC Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the St. Ignatius RC Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- St. Ignatius RC Cemetery lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<3> to the southwest of Copp.
- St. Ignatius RC Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Ignatius Martyr Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Ignatius RC Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2249893<2>
- Greenwood United Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Greenwood United Church Cemetery
- The Greenwood United Church Cemetery is located outside and to the northeast of Greenwood.Greenwood United Church Cemetery lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Copp.
- Greenwood United Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Greenwood Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greenwood United Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2439040<2>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Copp. See our List of 1890's Communities around Copp.
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Copp and then turned east". While Copp could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Copp as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Copp could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Ontario community named Copp.
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Copp) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Copp. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from CoppOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Copp. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.4686, Longitude: -77.4517 |
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|