Our Genealogy Helper for Chambers Corners ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Chambers Corners (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Chambers Corners. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Chambers Corners ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
- A typical abbreviation for Chambers Corners: Chambers Cors.
- While the name of this community is Chambers Corners, be aware that it's the common practice of mapmakers to remove the apostrophe from possessive names<1>. So Chambers Corners may originally have been Chamber's Corners.
Sometimes the trailing 's' might be dropped altogether, in which case Chambers Corners might be written as Chamber Corners.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Chambers Corners:
- Websites specific to Ontario
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Ontario
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- At this time (Dec 2022), GenDisasters website is currently offline due to a hacker attack. Hopefully they will be back soon.
- Stories from New York
- Stories from Ontario
Cemeteries Near Chambers Corners ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Chambers Corners.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Chambers Corners covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- O'Reilly's Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the O'Reilly's Cemetery
- O'Reilly's Cemetery has also been known as:
- Park Family Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on O'Reilly's Cemetery
- Maple Lawn Cemetery
- Zion Cemetery
- Morgan's Point United Church Cemetery
- Oakwood Cemetery
- Pelham Evangelical Friends Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Pelham Evangelical Friends Church Cemetery
- Pelham Evangelical Friends Church Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Chambers Corners.
- Pelham Evangelical Friends Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Friends Brick Church Cemetery
- Pelham Evangelical Friends Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pelham Evangelical Friends Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2314025<2>
- Hicksite Burial Ground
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hicksite Burial Ground
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Hicksite Burial Ground. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Hicksite Burial Ground lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Chambers Corners.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hicksite Burial Ground
- Hillside Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hillside Cemetery
- The Hillside Cemetery is located in Pelham.To be more precise, Hillside Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the north of Chambers Corners.
- Hillside Cemetery has also been known as:
- Dawdy Burial Ground
- Dawdy Cemetery
- Dawdy's Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hillside Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2189998<2>
- Wellandport / Riverside Cemetery
- Japanese Martyrs RC Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Japanese Martyrs RC Cemetery
- Japanese Martyrs RC Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the northeast of Chambers Corners.
- Japanese Martyrs RC Cemetery has also been known as:
- Church Street RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Japanese Martyrs RC Cemetery
- Smith Street / Holy Trinity Anglican Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Smith Street / Holy Trinity Anglican Cemetery
- Smith Street / Holy Trinity Anglican Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the northeast of Chambers Corners.
- Smith Street / Holy Trinity Anglican Cemetery has also been known as:
- Holy Trinity Anglican Cemetery
- Holy Trinity Anglican Columbarium
- Smith Street Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Smith Street / Holy Trinity Anglican Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2561457<2>
- Holy Cross Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Holy Cross Cemetery
- Holy Cross Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the northeast of Chambers Corners.
- Holy Cross Cemetery has also been known as:
- Holy Cross RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Holy Cross Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2316521<2>
- Continue List (425 more) ...
- Fonthill Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Fonthill Cemetery
- Fonthill Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the northeast of Chambers Corners.
- Fonthill Cemetery has also been known as:
- Fonthill Municipal Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fonthill Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2284915<2>
- Heaslip Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Heaslip Cemetery
- Heaslip Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the northwest of Chambers Corners.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Heaslip Cemetery
- Mt. Carmel Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Chambers Corners. See our List of 1890's Communities around Chambers Corners.
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Chambers Corners. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||It's generally believed that possessive apostrophes are removed to prevent confusion on maps where the apostrophe may be confused with a cartographic symbol. While this is generally true, it's not uncommon to find possessive apostrophes in administrative names (such as towns or counties).|
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Chambers Corners) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Chambers Corners. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Chambers CornersOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Chambers Corners. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 42.9444, Longitude: -79.3784 |
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|