Our Genealogy Helper for Blairs Settlement ...
Although we found mention of Blairs Settlement during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Blairs Settlement was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Blairs Settlement (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Blairs Settlement. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
It's still very early in our research, but as we gather more information it will be added to this page.
Name Variations for Blairs Settlement ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Various errors happen - anything from simple spelling to bad translations or people who just guessed at the name.
While the name of this community is Blairs Settlement, be aware that it's the common practice of mapmakers to remove the apostrophe from possessive names<2>. So Blairs Settlement may originally have been Blair's Settlement.
Sometimes the trailing 's' might be dropped altogether, in which case Blairs Settlement might be written as Blair Settlement.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Blairs Settlement:
- Websites specific to Ontario
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Ontario
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from New York
- Stories from Ontario
Cemeteries Near Blairs Settlement ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Blairs Settlement.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Blairs Settlement covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Westport United Church Cemetery
- Knox Presbyterian Cemetery
- St. Mary's Cemetery
- Hutchings Cemetery
- Royal Sappers & Miners Cemetery
- St. Edward's Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Edward's Cemetery
- St. Edward's Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Edward RC Cemetery
- St. Edward's RC Cemetery
- St. Edward's Westport RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Edward's Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2332662<3>
- Continue List ...
- Opinicon Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Opinicon Cemetery
- Opinicon Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the south of Blairs Settlement.
- Opinicon Cemetery has also been known as:
- Opinicon Road Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Opinicon Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2368320<3>
- Halladay Burial Place
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Halladay Burial Place
- Halladay Burial Place lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the east of Blairs Settlement.
- Halladay Burial Place has also been known as:
- Elgin Cemetery
- Halladay Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Halladay Burial Place
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2227748<3>
- Forfar Methodist Cemetery
- Emmanuel Anglican Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Emmanuel Anglican Cemetery
- Emmanuel Anglican Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the east of Blairs Settlement.
- Emmanuel Anglican Cemetery has also been known as:
- Emmanuel Church Cemetery
- New Emmanuel Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Emmanuel Anglican Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2316677<3>
- Portland United Church Cemetery
- Desert Lake Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Desert Lake Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Desert Lake Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- The Desert Lake Cemetery is located in the vicinity of Desert LakeMore precisely, Desert Lake Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the southwest of Blairs Settlement.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Desert Lake Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2334371<3>
- Morton Cemetery
- Robertson Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Robertson Cemetery
- Robertson Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the east of Blairs Settlement.
- Robertson Cemetery has also been known as:
- Robertson / Delta United Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Robertson Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2316523<3>
- Polk Family Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Blairs Settlement. See our List of 1890's Communities around Blairs Settlement.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Ontario Community
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Blairs Settlement and then turned east". While Blairs Settlement could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Blairs Settlement as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Blairs Settlement could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Ontario community named Blairs Settlement.
|<2>||It's generally believed that possessive apostrophes are removed to prevent confusion on maps where the apostrophe may be confused with a cartographic symbol. While this is generally true, it's not uncommon to find possessive apostrophes in administrative names (such as towns or counties).|
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Blairs Settlement) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Blairs Settlement. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Blairs Settlement
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Blairs Settlement. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.6392, Longitude: -76.4050
|<5>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|