Welcome to Avondale ...
Although we found mention of Avondale during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Avondale was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Avondale to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Avondale, please Contact Us.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Avondale might be (or was) located is in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: EST- Heure Normale de l'Est (HNE), EDT- Heure Avancée de l'Est (HAE).
We believe that Avondale would be found within the (613) and (343)<2> area codes.
Communities Also Named Avondale ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 61 communities that are also named Avondale - they are located in Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Florida (3), Georgia (6), Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky (2), Louisiana (2), Maryland (2), Michigan (2), Mississippi (2), Missouri, Montana, New Brunswick, New Jersey, Newfoundland and Labrador, North Carolina, Nova Scotia (2), Ohio (8), Pennsylvania (2), Prince Edward Island, Rhode Island, South Carolina (4), Tennessee (5), Texas (2), Utah, Virginia, Washington and West Virginia (2).
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Avondale.
Communities near Avondale ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Avondale.
- Massena [Saint Lawrence County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Massena
- Massena [Saint Lawrence County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<3> to the south of Avondale
- Estimated population in 2019: 12,043 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Massena have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Massena
- Saint Anicet
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Saint Anicet
- Saint Anicet lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<3> to the east of Avondale
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Saint Anicet came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Saint Anicet
- Riviere Beaudette
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Riviere Beaudette
- Riviere Beaudette lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<3> to the east of Avondale
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Riviere Beaudette came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Riviere Beaudette
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Saint Telesphore
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Saint Telesphore
- Saint Telesphore lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<3> to the east of Avondale
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Saint Telesphore came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Saint Telesphore
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dundee
- Dundee lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<3> to the southeast of Avondale
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dundee came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dundee
- MacGillivrays Bridge
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for MacGillivrays Bridge
- MacGillivrays Bridge lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the southeast of Avondale
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for MacGillivrays Bridge. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on MacGillivrays Bridge
- North Branch
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for North Branch
- North Branch lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the southwest of Avondale
- Jump to Google Maps centered on North Branch
- Saint Raphaels
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Saint Raphaels
- Saint Raphaels lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the east of Avondale
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Saint Raphaels
- Green Valley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Green Valley
- Green Valley lies 5 miles [8 km]<3> to the northeast of Avondale
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Green Valley
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Avondale. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Avondale.
We have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Avondale. See our Newspapers Page for Avondale.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Avondale ...
Looking for more information about Avondale? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Avondale, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Avondale.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Ontario Community
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Avondale and then turned east". While Avondale could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Avondale as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Avondale could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Area code (343) is an overlay for area code (613).|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Avondale) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Avondale. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Avondale
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Avondale. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.2114, Longitude: -74.6914
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|