Welcome to Austin ...
Although we found mention of Austin during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Austin was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Austin to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Austin, please Contact Us.
When the people of Austin refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Austinite<2>
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Austin might be (or was) located is in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: EST- Heure Normale de l'Est (HNE), EDT- Heure Avancée de l'Est (HAE).
We believe that Austin would be found within the (705) and (249)<3> area codes.
Communities Also Named Austin ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 42 communities that are also named Austin - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas (3), California, Colorado (2), Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas (2), Kentucky, Manitoba, Michigan (4), Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri (2), Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New York (2), North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Quebec, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee (2), Texas, Utah, Washington (2) and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Austin.
Communities near Austin ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Austin.
- Greater Sudbury
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Greater Sudbury
- Greater Sudbury lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the northwest of Austin
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Greater Sudbury came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greater Sudbury
- Dill Siding
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dill Siding
- Dill Siding lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the south of Austin
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Dill Siding. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dill Siding
- Don Lita
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Don Lita
- Don Lita lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the northwest of Austin
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Don Lita
- Nickel Centre
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Nickel Centre
- Nickel Centre lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the north of Austin
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Nickel Centre came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Nickel Centre
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wahnapitae
- Wahnapitae lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the northeast of Austin
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Wahnapitae came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wahnapitae
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Barrydowne
- Barrydowne lies 5 miles [8 km]<4> to the west of Austin
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Barrydowne
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Garson
- Garson lies 5 miles [8 km]<4> to the north of Austin
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Garson came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Garson
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Brodie
- Brodie lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<4> to the west of Austin
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brodie
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Falconbridge
- Falconbridge lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<4> to the north of Austin
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Falconbridge
- McFarlane Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for McFarlane Lake
- McFarlane Lake lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<4> to the southwest of Austin
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for McFarlane Lake came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on McFarlane Lake
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Austin ...
Looking for more information about Austin? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Austin, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Austin.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Ontario
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Austin and then turned west". While Austin could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Austin as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Austin could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Austin refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Austin may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||Area code (249) is an overlay for area code (705).|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Austin) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Austin. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 46.4908, Longitude: -80.8364
|<5>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<6>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|