Welcome to Chester ...
Chester is located in Major County<1>.
When the people of Chester refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Chesterite<2>
Chester is 1,710 feet [521 m] above sea level.<3>.
Time Zone: Chester lies in the Central Time Zone (CST/CDT) and observes daylight saving time
Chester is within the (580) area code.
The ZIP code for Chester: 73838<4>
Communities Also Named Chester ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 47 communities that are also named Chester - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas (3), Kentucky (3), Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri (2), Montana, Nebraska (2), New Brunswick (2), New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Nova Scotia, Ohio, Ontario, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington and West Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Chester.
Communities near Chester ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Chester.
- Seiling (4 miles [6.4 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Seiling
- Seiling lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the south of Chester and is located in Dewey County
- Population from the 2020 Census: 839 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Seiling
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Seiling<6>
- Taloga (12 miles [19.3 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Taloga
- Taloga lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the south of Chester and is located in Dewey County
- Population from the 2020 Census: 307 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Taloga
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Taloga<6>
- Mutual (13 miles [20.9 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mutual
- Mutual lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<5> to the west of Chester and is located in Woodward County
- Population from the 2020 Census: 60 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mutual
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Mutual<6>
- Quinlan (17 miles [27.4 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Quinlan
- Quinlan lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<5> to the northwest of Chester and is located in Woodward County
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Quinlan have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Quinlan
- Phroso (7 miles [11.3 km] to the northeast) - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Phroso
- Phroso was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the northeast of Chester and is located in Major County
- Cantonment (18 miles [29 km] to the southeast) - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cantonment
- Cantonment was located 18 miles [29 km]<5> to the southeast of Chester and is located in Blaine County
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Cantonment. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Curtis (19 miles [30.6 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Curtis
- Curtis lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the northwest of Chester and is located in Woodward County
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Curtis
- Canton (21 miles [33.8 km] to the southeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Canton
- Canton lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<5> to the southeast of Chester and is located in Blaine County
- Population from the 2020 Census: 587 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Canton
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Canton<6>
- Longdale (21 miles [33.8 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Longdale
- Longdale lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<5> to the east of Chester and is located in Blaine County
- Population from the 2020 Census: 263 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Longdale
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Longdale<6>
- Mooreland (21 miles [33.8 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mooreland
- Mooreland lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<5> to the northwest of Chester and is located in Woodward County
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,141 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mooreland
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Mooreland<6>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Chester. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Chester.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Chester. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Chester.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Chester. See our Newspapers Page for Chester.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Chester ...
Looking for more information about Chester? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Chester, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Chester.
Adding Chester to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Chester in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Chester was on a map titled Map of Oklahoma (from Rand McNally, 1911).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Chester on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Chester
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Oklahoma
About Major County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Chester. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Oklahoma: https://www.ok.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Oklahoma's counties, including Major, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Chester refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Chester may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Chester - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Chester). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Chester or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Chester) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Chester. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from ChesterOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Chester. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 36.2166, Longitude: -98.9208 |
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<8>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|