Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Tioga Terrace, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Tioga Terrace and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Tioga Terrace:
- 42.055278, -76.121389
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Tioga Terrace
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Tioga Terrace ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Campville
- Campville lies 2 miles [3.2 km]<1> to the northwest of Tioga Terrace.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Campville
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hullsville
- Hullsville lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the north of Tioga Terrace.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hullsville
- Little Meadows
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Nixon
- Nixon lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the south of Tioga Terrace.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Nixon have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Nixon
- Price Home
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Price Home
- Price Home lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the northwest of Tioga Terrace.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Price Home have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Price Home
- Twin Orchard
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Twin Orchard
- Twin Orchard lies 5 miles [8 km]<1> to the northeast of Tioga Terrace.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Twin Orchard have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Twin Orchard
- Union Center
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Union Center
- Union Center lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the north of Tioga Terrace.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Union Center have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Union Center
- Willow Point
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Willow Point
- Willow Point lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the northeast of Tioga Terrace.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Willow Point
How Far From Tioga Terrace to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Tioga Terrace to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Tioga Terrace and extending to:
- Owego, which is the Seat of Tioga County, lies just to the West Northwest.
- Albany, which is the State Capital of New York, lies 127 miles [204.4 km]<1> to the east northeast (ENE). If you could drive a straight line from Tioga Terrace to Albany, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 8 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 5 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 223 miles [358.9 km] to the south southwest (SSW). Driving would take nearly four hours, a buggy would take 9 days and walking would take 13 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,727 miles [9,216.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,443 miles [10,369 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,318 miles [6,949.1 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<8>
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Tioga Terrace. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Tioga County: www.tiogacountyny.com/
The official website for State of New York: https://www.ny.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Tioga Terrace) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Tioga Terrace. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 42.0553, Longitude: -76.1214 In this case, the coordinates for Tioga Terrace have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Tioga Terrace to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 307.083 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 303.021 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 303.016 degrees.||