Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Squirrels Corners, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Squirrels Corners and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Squirrels Corners:
- 41.602150, -74.749586
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Squirrels Corners
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Squirrels Corners ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bushville [Sullivan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bushville
- Bushville [Sullivan County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the north of Squirrels Corners
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bushville have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bushville
- Forestburg [Sullivan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Forestburg
- Forestburg [Sullivan County] lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<1> to the south of Squirrels Corners
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Forestburg have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Forestburg
- Fowlerville [Sullivan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fowlerville
- Fowlerville [Sullivan County] lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<1> to the south of Squirrels Corners
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fowlerville have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fowlerville
- Harris [Sullivan County]
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Maplewood [Sullivan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Maplewood
- Maplewood [Sullivan County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the north of Squirrels Corners
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Maplewood have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Maplewood
- Melody Lake [Sullivan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Melody Lake
- Melody Lake [Sullivan County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the east of Squirrels Corners
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Melody Lake have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Melody Lake
- Mohican Lake [Sullivan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mohican Lake
- Mohican Lake [Sullivan County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the southwest of Squirrels Corners
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mohican Lake have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mohican Lake
- Rock Hill [Sullivan County]
- Smallwood [Sullivan County]
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Squirrels Corners. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Thomas Everett 'Tom' Burns (Major League Baseball> *~~mlb:<1880/05/01:1892/07/22)
- William Chauvenet (Mathematician, professor)
- Mathematician, professor. He was born in Milford (PA) on May 24, 1820 (a Wednesday) and died in Saint Paul (MN) on December 13, 1870 (a Tueday) at the age of 50. He is buried at Bellefontaine Cemetery (Saint Louis City, Missouri).
- Milford is located 19 miles [30.6 km] to the south of Squirrels Corners.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: William Chauvenet<4>
- Thomas John 'Dude' Esterbrook (Major League Baseball> *~~mlb:<1880/05/01:1891/07/22)
- George Inness, Jr. (Artist)
- Artist. He was born in Paris (France) on January 5, 1854 (a Thursday) and died in Cragsmoor (NY) on July 27, 1926 (a Tueday) at the age of 72. He is buried at Rosedale Cemetery (Essex County, New Jersey).
- Cragsmoor is located 19 miles [30.6 km] to the east of Squirrels Corners.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: George Inness, Jr.<4>
- Herbert 'Herb' Kalin (Musician, singer)
- Milton Kamen (Actor, comic)
- Actor, comic. He was born in Hurleyville (NY) on March 5, 1921 (a Saturday) and died in Beverly Hills (CA) on February 24, 1977 (a Thursday) at the age of 55. He is buried at Eden Memorial Park (Los Angeles County, California).
- Hurleyville is located 10 miles [16.1 km] to the north of Squirrels Corners.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Milton Kamen<4>
- Joseph Bohomiel 'Joe' Lapchick (Professional basketball)
- Kate Williamson (Actress)
How Far From Squirrels Corners to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Squirrels Corners to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Squirrels Corners and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Monticello, which is the Seat of Sullivan County and lies just to the Northeast.
- Albany, which is the State Capital of New York, lies 88 miles [141.6 km]<1> to the north northeast (NNE). If you could drive a straight line from Squirrels Corners to Albany, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 5 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of three days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 222 miles [357.3 km] to the southwest (SW). Driving would take nearly four hours, a buggy would take 9 days and walking would take 13 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,689 miles [9,155.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,400 miles [10,299.8 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,276 miles [6,881.6 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Mentions & References for Squirrels Corners
Visit our Community Index for New York
About Sullivan County
About New York
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Squirrels Corners. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Sullivan County: www.co.sullivan.ny.us/
The official website for State of New York: https://www.ny.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Squirrels Corners) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Squirrels Corners. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Squirrels CornersOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Squirrels Corners. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 41.6022, Longitude: -74.7496 |
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Squirrels Corners to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 306.293 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 302.057 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 302.593 degrees.||