Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Adirondack, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Adirondack and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Adirondack:
- 43.764539, -73.755925
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Adirondack
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Adirondack ...
We have found one communities that share the name Adirondack.
Within New York, the name Adirondack is unique.
Beyond New York, there is another community also named Adirondack in Canada.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- This Adirondack lies 113 miles [181.9 km]<1> to the north of the Adirondack that is located in Warren County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Adirondack
Curious and Interesting Names Near Adirondack ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Chestertown [Warren County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chestertown
- Chestertown [Warren County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the south of Adirondack
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Chestertown have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chestertown
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Chestertown<3>
- Graphite [Warren County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Graphite
- Graphite [Warren County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the east of Adirondack
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Graphite have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Graphite
- Irishtown [Essex County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Irishtown
- Irishtown [Essex County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the west of Adirondack
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Irishtown have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Irishtown
- Minerva [Essex County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Paradox [Essex County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Paradox
- Paradox [Essex County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the northeast of Adirondack
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Paradox have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Paradox
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Paradox<3>
- Pottersville [Warren County]
- Pudding Hollow [Essex County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pudding Hollow
- Pudding Hollow [Essex County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the west of Adirondack
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pudding Hollow have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pudding Hollow
- Riverbank [Warren County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Riverbank
- Riverbank [Warren County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the south of Adirondack
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Riverbank
- Severance [Essex County]
- Starbuckville [Warren County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Starbuckville
- Starbuckville [Warren County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the south of Adirondack
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Starbuckville have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Starbuckville
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Adirondack. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Collis Huntington (Railroad tycoon, industrialist)
- Railroad tycoon, industrialist. He was born in Harwinton (Connecticut) on Monday October 22, 1821 and died in Adirondack on Monday August 13, 1900 at the age of 78. He is buried at Woodlawn Cemetery (Bronx County, New York).
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Collis Huntington<4>
- Donald Moffat (Author)
- Author. He was born in Saint Huberts (New York) on Wednesday July 18, 1894 and died in Brookline (Massachusetts) on Sunday May 4, 1958 at the age of 63. He is buried at Forest Hills Cemetery (Suffolk County, Massachusetts).
- Saint Huberts is located 27 miles [43.5 km] to the north of Adirondack.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Donald Moffat<4>
- Tom Tyler (Actor)
- Actor. He was born in Port Henry (New York) on Sunday August 9, 1903 and died in Hamtramck (Michigan) on Saturday May 1, 1954 at the age of 50. He is buried at Mt. Olivet Cemetery (Wayne County, Michigan).
- Port Henry is located 24 miles [38.6 km] to the northeast of Adirondack.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Tom Tyler<4>
How Far From Adirondack to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Adirondack to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Adirondack and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Lake George, which is the Seat of Warren County and lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the south. If you could walk a straight line from Adirondack to Lake George, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of a day.
- Albany, which is the State Capital of New York, lies 76 miles [122.3 km] to the south (S). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than two hours, a buggy would take most of three days and walking would take 5 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 376 miles [605.1 km] to the south southwest (SSW). Driving would take 6 hours, a buggy would take 15 days and walking would take 22 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,560 miles [8,948 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,279 miles [10,105.1 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,154 miles [6,685.2 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for New York
About Warren County
About New York
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Adirondack. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Warren County: www.co.warren.ny.us/
The official website for State of New York: https://www.ny.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Adirondack) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Adirondack. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Adirondack
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Adirondack. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.7645, Longitude: -73.7559
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Adirondack to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 305.42 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 301.429 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 301.116 degrees.||