Welcome to Shoshone ...
So far, we have found very little information about Shoshone. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Shoshone to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Shoshone, please Contact Us.
Shoshone would have been located within present day White Pine County<2>.
The location of Shoshone has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Shoshone is 5,790 feet [1,765 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the altitude of Shoshone is about 1 mile [or ~1¾ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Shoshone was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where Shoshone once stood is in the (775) area code.
Communities Also Named Shoshone ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are two Nevada communities named Shoshone: This one is located in White Pine County and the other is located in Eureka County.
Beyond Nevada, there are 4 communities that are also named Shoshone - they are located in California, Colorado and Idaho.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Shoshone.
Communities near Shoshone ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Shoshone.
- Majors Place [White Pine County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Majors Place
- Majors Place [White Pine County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<5> to the northwest of Shoshone
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Majors Place
- Osceola [White Pine County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Osceola
- Osceola [White Pine County] was located 16 miles [25.7 km]<5> to the north of Shoshone
- Baker [White Pine County]
- Burbank [Millard County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Burbank
- Burbank [Millard County] was located 20 miles [32.2 km]<5> to the east of Shoshone
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Burbank. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Garrison [Millard County]
- Taylor [White Pine County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Taylor
- Taylor [White Pine County] was located 22 miles [35.4 km]<5> to the northwest of Shoshone
- Atlanta [Lincoln County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Atlanta
- Atlanta [Lincoln County] was located 26 miles [41.8 km]<5> to the south of Shoshone
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Atlanta have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Eskdale [Millard County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Eskdale
- Eskdale [Millard County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<5> to the northeast of Shoshone
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Eskdale
- Lund [White Pine County]
- East Ely [White Pine County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Shoshone. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Shoshone.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Shoshone. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Shoshone.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Shoshone. See our Newspapers Page for Shoshone.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Nevada
About White Pine County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for White Pine County: www.co.white-pine.nv.us/
The official website for State of Nevada: nv.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Shoshone, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Nevada's counties, including White Pine, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Shoshone - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Shoshone) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Shoshone. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Shoshone
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Shoshone. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 38.8486, Longitude: -114.4078 In this case, the coordinates for Shoshone have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|