Welcome to Canon City ...
So far, we have found very little information about Canon City. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Canon City to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Canon City, please Contact Us.
Canon City would have been located within present day Lander County<2>.
The location of Canon City has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
Canon City was founded in 1863.
While the community is gone, the present day location for Canon City is 5,890 feet [1,795 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the altitude of Canon City is about 1¼ mile [or ~1¾ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Canon City was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where Canon City once stood is in the (775) area code.
Communities Also Named Canon City ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 3 communities that are also named Canon City - they are located in California and Colorado (2).
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Canon City.
Communities near Canon City ...
We have created a list of 7 communities that are near Canon City.
- Austin [Lander County]
- Jacobsville [Lander County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jacobsville
- Jacobsville [Lander County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the northwest of Canon City
- Lander City [Lander County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lander City have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lander City
- Lander City [Lander County] was located 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the south of Canon City
- Yankee Blade [Lander County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Yankee Blade have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Yankee Blade
- Yankee Blade [Lander County] was located 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the northeast of Canon City
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Canyon City [Lander County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Canyon City have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Canyon City
- Canyon City [Lander County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the south of Canon City
- Victorine [Nye County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Victorine
- Victorine [Nye County] was located 15 miles [24.1 km]<5> to the south of Canon City
- Kingston [Lander County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kingston
- Kingston [Lander County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<5> to the south of Canon City
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kingston
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We're compiling a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Canon City. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Canon City.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Canon City. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Canon City.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Canon City. See our Newspapers Page for Canon City.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Nevada
About Lander County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Nevada: nv.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Canon City, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Nevada's counties, including Lander, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Canon City - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Canon City) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Canon City. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Canon City
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Canon City. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.4566, Longitude: -117.1293 In this case, the coordinates for Canon City have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|