How Far From Whitefish Station to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Whitefish Station to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance<1> beginning in Whitefish Station and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Yellowknife, which is the Territorial Capital of Northwest Territories, lies 717 miles [1,153.9 km]<1> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could drive a straight line from Whitefish Station to Yellowknife, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 41 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 28 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 2,559 miles [4,118.3 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 5 days, a buggy would take 100 days and walking would take 146 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,421 miles [8,724.3 km] and it lies to the north (N).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,150 miles [9,897.5 km] and it lies to the north (N).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,553 miles [7,327.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Northwest Territories
About Northwest Territories
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Northwest Territories: https://www.gov.nt.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Whitefish Station) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Whitefish Station. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 69.3792, Longitude: -133.6194
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Whitefish Station to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 350.347 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 353.899 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 332.941 degrees.||