Curious and Interesting Names Near Tununuk ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Camp Farewell
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Camp Farewell came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Camp Farewell
- Camp Farewell lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the north of Tununuk
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Camp Farewell
- Reindeer Depot
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Reindeer Depot came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Reindeer Depot
- Reindeer Depot lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<2> to the southeast of Tununuk
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Reindeer Depot
- Reindeer Station
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Reindeer Station came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Reindeer Station
- Reindeer Station lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the southeast of Tununuk
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Reindeer Station
How Far From Tununuk to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Tununuk to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Tununuk and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Yellowknife, which is the Territorial Capital of Northwest Territories, lies 726 miles [1,168.4 km]<2> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could drive a straight line from Tununuk to Yellowknife, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 42 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 29 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 2,580 miles [4,152.1 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 6 days, a buggy would take 101 days and walking would take 147 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,451 miles [8,772.5 km] and it lies to the north (N).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,179 miles [9,944.1 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,588 miles [7,383.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Northwest Territories
About Northwest Territories
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Tununuk. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Northwest Territories: https://www.gov.nt.ca/
|<1>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Tununuk) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Tununuk. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Tununuk
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Tununuk. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 69.0000, Longitude: -134.6667
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Tununuk to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 351.265 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 354.874 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 333.848 degrees.||