Curious and Interesting Names Near Thompson Lake ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Peace River Flats
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Peace River Flats came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Peace River Flats
- Peace River Flats lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the west of Thompson Lake
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Peace River Flats
- School Draw
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for School Draw came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for School Draw
- School Draw lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the west of Thompson Lake
- Jump to Google Maps centered on School Draw
- Willow Flats
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Willow Flats came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Willow Flats
- Willow Flats lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the west of Thompson Lake
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Willow Flats
How Far From Thompson Lake to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Thompson Lake to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Thompson Lake and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Yellowknife, which is the Territorial Capital of Northwest Territories, lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the west southwest (WSW). If you could walk a straight line from Thompson Lake to Yellowknife, with an average speed<4> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of two days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just over a day.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,893 miles [3,046.5 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take three full days, a buggy would take 74 days and walking would take 108 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,684 miles [9,147.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,444 miles [10,370.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,620 miles [7,435.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Northwest Territories
About Northwest Territories
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Thompson Lake. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Northwest Territories: https://www.gov.nt.ca/
|<1>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Thompson Lake) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Thompson Lake. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 62.6167, Longitude: -113.4667
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Thompson Lake to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 333.538 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 335.223 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.062 degrees.||