How Far From Old Fort Rae to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Old Fort Rae to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance<1> beginning in Old Fort Rae and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Yellowknife, which is the Territorial Capital of Northwest Territories, lies 48 miles [77.2 km]<1> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could walk a straight line from Old Fort Rae to Yellowknife, with an average speed<2> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take about three full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of two days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,964 miles [3,160.8 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take three full days, a buggy would take 77 days and walking would take 112 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,714 miles [9,195.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,472 miles [10,415.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,666 miles [7,509.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Northwest Territories Community
About Northwest Territories
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Northwest Territories: https://www.gov.nt.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Old Fort Rae) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Old Fort Rae. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 62.6503, Longitude: -115.8347
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Old Fort Rae to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 335.511 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 337.388 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.806 degrees.||