Curious and Interesting Names Near Old Fort Providence ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Peace River Flats
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Peace River Flats came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Peace River Flats
- Peace River Flats lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the northwest of Old Fort Providence
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Peace River Flats
- School Draw
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for School Draw came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for School Draw
- School Draw lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the northwest of Old Fort Providence
- Jump to Google Maps centered on School Draw
- Willow Flats
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Willow Flats came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Willow Flats
- Willow Flats lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the northwest of Old Fort Providence
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Willow Flats
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Old Fort Providence. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Margot Kidder (Actress. actovost)
- Actress. actovost. She was born in Yellowknife (Northwest Territories) on Wednesday October 27, 1948 and died on Sunday May 13, 2018 at the age of 69.
- Yellowknife is located 14 miles [22.5 km] to the northwest of Old Fort Providence.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Margot Kidder<4>
How Far From Old Fort Providence to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Old Fort Providence to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Old Fort Providence and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Yellowknife, which is the Territorial Capital of Northwest Territories, lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the north northwest (NNW). If you could walk a straight line from Old Fort Providence to Yellowknife, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take four to five hours.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,905 miles [3,065.8 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take three full days, a buggy would take 75 days and walking would take 109 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,716 miles [9,199 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,476 miles [10,422.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,652 miles [7,486.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Northwest Territories
About Northwest Territories
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Northwest Territories: https://www.gov.nt.ca/
|<1>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Old Fort Providence) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Old Fort Providence. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 62.2669, Longitude: -114.1681
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Old Fort Providence to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 334.142 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 335.854 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.676 degrees.||