Curious and Interesting Names Near Mellor ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Birch came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Birch
- Birch lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the west of Mellor
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Birch
- Buffalo River
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Buffalo River came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Buffalo River
- Buffalo River lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the north of Mellor
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Buffalo River
- Hay River
- Pine Junction
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pine Junction came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pine Junction
- Pine Junction lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the west of Mellor
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pine Junction
- Pine Point
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pine Point came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pine Point
- Pine Point lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the northeast of Mellor
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pine Point
How Far From Mellor to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Mellor to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Mellor and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Yellowknife, which is the Territorial Capital of Northwest Territories, lies 121 miles [194.7 km]<2> to the north (N). If you could drive a straight line from Mellor to Yellowknife, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take about two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 7 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 5 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,897 miles [3,052.9 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 75 days and walking would take 108 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,823 miles [9,371.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,584 miles [10,595.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,751 miles [7,646 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Northwest Territories
About Northwest Territories
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Northwest Territories: https://www.gov.nt.ca/
|<1>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Mellor) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Mellor. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 60.7139, Longitude: -114.9431
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Mellor to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 334.861 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 336.512 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.643 degrees.||