How Far From Lac la Martre to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Lac la Martre to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<1> community of Lac la Martre once stood, the straight-line distance<2> beginning in Lac la Martre and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Yellowknife, which is the Territorial Capital of Northwest Territories, lies 102 miles [164.2 km]<2> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could drive a straight line from Lac la Martre to Yellowknife, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 6 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take three full days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 2,017 miles [3,246 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take 4 days, a buggy would take 79 days and walking would take 115 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,702 miles [9,176.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,458 miles [10,393.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,668 miles [7,512.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Northwest Territories
About Northwest Territories
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Northwest Territories: https://www.gov.nt.ca/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Lac la Martre, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Lac la Martre) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Lac la Martre. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 63.1333, Longitude: -117.2667
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Lac la Martre to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 336.683 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 338.713 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.747 degrees.||