How Far From Fort Rae to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Fort Rae to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance<1> beginning in Fort Rae and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Yellowknife, which is the Territorial Capital of Northwest Territories, lies 59 miles [95 km]<1> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could walk a straight line from Fort Rae to Yellowknife, with an average speed<2> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of three days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take about three full days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,975 miles [3,178.5 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take three full days, a buggy would take 78 days and walking would take 113 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,706 miles [9,182.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,463 miles [10,401.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,661 miles [7,501.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Northwest Territories
About Northwest Territories
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Fort Rae. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Northwest Territories: https://www.gov.nt.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Fort Rae) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Fort Rae. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 62.8333, Longitude: -116.0500
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Fort Rae to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 335.681 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 337.59 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.918 degrees.||