Curious and Interesting Names Near Dawson Landing ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Buffalo River
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Buffalo River came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Buffalo River
- Buffalo River lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<2> to the west of Dawson Landing
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Buffalo River
- Little Buffalo River
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Little Buffalo River
- Little Buffalo River lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the east of Dawson Landing
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Little Buffalo River
- Pine Point
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pine Point came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pine Point
- Pine Point lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the southwest of Dawson Landing
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pine Point
How Far From Dawson Landing to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Dawson Landing to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Dawson Landing and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Yellowknife, which is the Territorial Capital of Northwest Territories, lies 101 miles [162.5 km]<2> to the north (N). If you could drive a straight line from Dawson Landing to Yellowknife, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 6 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take three full days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,877 miles [3,020.7 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 74 days and walking would take 107 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,795 miles [9,326.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,556 miles [10,550.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,720 miles [7,596.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Northwest Territories
About Northwest Territories
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Dawson Landing. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Northwest Territories: https://www.gov.nt.ca/
|<1>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Dawson Landing) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Dawson Landing. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Dawson Landing
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Dawson Landing. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 60.9875, Longitude: -114.1660
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Dawson Landing to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 334.205 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 335.812 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.01 degrees.||