How Far From Camp Farewell to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Camp Farewell to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance<1> beginning in Camp Farewell and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Yellowknife, which is the Territorial Capital of Northwest Territories, lies 741 miles [1,192.5 km]<1> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could drive a straight line from Camp Farewell to Yellowknife, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 43 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 29 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 2,589 miles [4,166.6 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 6 days, a buggy would take 102 days and walking would take 148 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,432 miles [8,742 km] and it lies to the north (N).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,160 miles [9,913.6 km] and it lies to the north (N).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,573 miles [7,359.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Northwest Territories Community
About Northwest Territories
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Northwest Territories: https://www.gov.nt.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Camp Farewell) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Camp Farewell. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 69.2833, Longitude: -134.9167
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Camp Farewell to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 351.473 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 355.107 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 333.992 degrees.||