Curious and Interesting Names Near Alexandra Falls ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grumbler
- Grumbler lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the southwest of Alexandra Falls
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grumbler
- Hay River
How Far From Alexandra Falls to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Alexandra Falls to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Alexandra Falls and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Yellowknife, which is the Territorial Capital of Northwest Territories, lies 159 miles [255.9 km]<1> to the north northeast (NNE). If you could drive a straight line from Alexandra Falls to Yellowknife, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 9 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 7 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,940 miles [3,122.1 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 76 days and walking would take 111 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,866 miles [9,440.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,626 miles [10,663.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,802 miles [7,728.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Northwest Territories
About Northwest Territories
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Northwest Territories: https://www.gov.nt.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Alexandra Falls) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Alexandra Falls. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 60.3667, Longitude: -116.4347
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Alexandra Falls to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 336.111 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 337.865 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.807 degrees.||