Our Genealogy Helper for Surettes Island ...
Although we found mention of Surettes Island during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Surettes Island was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Surettes Island (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Surettes Island. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Surettes Island ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
- A typical abbreviation for Surettes Island: Surettes Is. (in Canada, 'Isld.' is the more common abbreviation.)
- While the name of this community is Surettes Island, be aware that it's the common practice of mapmakers to remove the apostrophe from possessive names<2>. So Surettes Island may originally have been Surette's Island.
Sometimes the trailing 's' might be dropped altogether, in which case Surettes Island might be written as Surette Island.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Surettes Island:
- Websites specific to Nova Scotia
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Nova Scotia
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Nova Scotia
Cemeteries Near Surettes Island ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Surettes Island.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Surettes Island covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Plymouth Cemetery
- Ste. Anne Parish Cemetery
- Chebogue Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Chebogue Cemetery
- Chebogue Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the west of Surettes Island.
- Chebogue Cemetery has also been known as:
- Town Point Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chebogue Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2135405<3>
- St. Pierre Parish Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Pierre Parish Cemetery
- St. Pierre Parish Cemetery lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the southeast of Surettes Island.
- St. Pierre Parish Cemetery has also been known as:
- Eglise Saint-Pierre Cemetery
- Middle West Pubnico Church Cemetery
- St. Peter's Parish Cemetery
- St. Peter's Parish Cemetery
- St. Pierre Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Pierre Parish Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2265194<3>
- Gavelton Meeting House Cemetery
- Yarmouth Mtn. Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Yarmouth Mtn. Cemetery
- Yarmouth Mtn. Cemetery lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the northwest of Surettes Island.
- Yarmouth Mtn. Cemetery has also been known as:
- Mountain Cemetery
- Yarmouth Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Yarmouth Mtn. Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2318456<3>
- Continue List ...
- Our Lady of Calvary Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Our Lady of Calvary Cemetery
- Our Lady of Calvary Cemetery lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the northwest of Surettes Island.
- Our Lady of Calvary Cemetery has also been known as:
- Our Lady of Calvary RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Our Lady of Calvary Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2315983<3>
- Anglican Church Hill Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Anglican Church Hill Cemetery
- Anglican Church Hill Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the northwest of Surettes Island.
- Anglican Church Hill Cemetery has also been known as:
- Butler's Hill Anglican Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Anglican Church Hill Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2588881<3>
- Old Acadian Cemetery
- Green Cove Cemetery
- Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
- Mt. Pleasant Cemetery lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the southeast of Surettes Island.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
- Greenwood Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Greenwood Cemetery
- Greenwood Cemetery lies 18 miles [29 km]<4> to the southeast of Surettes Island.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greenwood Cemetery
- Founders Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Founders Cemetery
- Founders Cemetery lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<4> to the northwest of Surettes Island.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Founders Cemetery
- FWB Cemetery
- Calvinist Baptist Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Surettes Island. See our List of 1890's Communities around Surettes Island.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Nova Scotia
About Nova Scotia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Surettes Island and then turned east". While Surettes Island could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Surettes Island as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Surettes Island could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Nova Scotia community named Surettes Island.
|<2>||It's generally believed that possessive apostrophes are removed to prevent confusion on maps where the apostrophe may be confused with a cartographic symbol. While this is generally true, it's not uncommon to find possessive apostrophes in administrative names (such as towns or counties).|
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Surettes Island) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Surettes Island. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Surettes IslandOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Surettes Island. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.7625, Longitude: -65.9339 |