Our Genealogy Helper for New Edinburgh ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about New Edinburgh (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for New Edinburgh. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first turn to the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to New Edinburgh:
- Websites specific to Nova Scotia
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Nova Scotia
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Nova Scotia
Cemeteries Near New Edinburgh ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of New Edinburgh.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for New Edinburgh covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Riverside Baptist Cemetery
- Weymouth Church of Christ Cemetery
- St. Peter's Anglican Church Cemetery
- Ashmore United Baptist Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Ashmore United Baptist Church Cemetery
- The Ashmore United Baptist Church Cemetery is located between<2> the communities of Ashmore and Weymouth North. The cemetery lies less than 2 miles<3> to the southwest of Ashmore.
- Ashmore United Baptist Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Ashmore Baptist Church Cemetery
- Ashmore United Baptist Cemetery
- Bethel Heartz Memorial Cemetery
- Bethel United Baptist Church Cemetery
- United Old Methodist Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ashmore United Baptist Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2501663<1>
- St. Joseph's Catholic Cemetery
- Sandy Cove Baptist Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Sandy Cove Baptist Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Sandy Cove Baptist Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sandy Cove Baptist Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2585672<1>
- Continue List ...
- Sandy Cove Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Sandy Cove Cemetery
- Sandy Cove Cemetery has also been known as:
- Sandy Cove United Zion Church Cemetery
- Zion United Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sandy Cove Cemetery
- Hassett Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hassett Cemetery
- Hassett Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the southeast of New Edinburgh.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hassett Cemetery
- Plympton Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Plympton Cemetery
- Plympton Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the northeast of New Edinburgh.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Plympton Cemetery
- Hillcrest Cemetery
- Havelock Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Havelock Cemetery
- Havelock Cemetery lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<3> to the southeast of New Edinburgh.
- Havelock Cemetery has also been known as:
- Lakeside Cemetery
- Nowlans Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Havelock Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2221026<1>
- Doucetteville Cemetery
- Waterford Cemetery
- Tiverton Cemetery
- Barton Baptist Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around New Edinburgh. See our List of 1890's Communities around New Edinburgh.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Nova Scotia Community
About Nova Scotia
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for New Edinburgh. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||To help visualize the location of the cemetery, we've drawn a straight line between the communities of Ashmore and Weymouth North. The cemetery can be found near that line and roughly halfway between the two communities. Remember that this is just an approximate location.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- New Edinburgh) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for New Edinburgh. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from New EdinburghOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in New Edinburgh. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.4361, Longitude: -66.0167 |
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|