Our Genealogy Helper for Little River ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Little River (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Little River. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Little River ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
For example, a typical abbreviation for Little River: Little Riv.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Little River:
- Websites specific to Nova Scotia
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Nova Scotia
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from New Brunswick
- Stories from Nova Scotia
Cemeteries Near Little River ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Little River.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Little River covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Hillcrest Cemetery
- Sandy Cove Baptist Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Sandy Cove Baptist Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Sandy Cove Baptist Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sandy Cove Baptist Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2585672<1>
- Sandy Cove Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Sandy Cove Cemetery
- Sandy Cove Cemetery has also been known as:
- Sandy Cove United Zion Church Cemetery
- Zion United Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sandy Cove Cemetery
- Tiverton Cemetery
- Riverside Baptist Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Riverside Baptist Cemetery
- The Riverside Baptist Cemetery is located outside and to the northwest of Weymouth North.To be precise, Riverside Baptist Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the east of Little River.
- Riverside Baptist Cemetery has also been known as:
- Riverside Baptist Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Riverside Baptist Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2212252<1>
- Weymouth Church of Christ Cemetery
- St. Peter's Anglican Church Cemetery
- St. Joseph's Catholic Cemetery
- Ashmore United Baptist Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Ashmore United Baptist Church Cemetery
- The Ashmore United Baptist Church Cemetery is located between<4> the communities of Ashmore and Weymouth North. The cemetery lies less than 2 miles<3> to the southwest of Ashmore.To be more precise, Ashmore United Baptist Church Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km] to the east of Little River.
- Ashmore United Baptist Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Ashmore Baptist Church Cemetery
- Ashmore United Baptist Cemetery
- Bethel Heartz Memorial Cemetery
- Bethel United Baptist Church Cemetery
- United Old Methodist Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ashmore United Baptist Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2501663<1>
- Hassett Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hassett Cemetery
- Hassett Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the southeast of Little River.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hassett Cemetery
- Plympton Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Plympton Cemetery
- Plympton Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the east of Little River.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Plympton Cemetery
- Waterford Cemetery
- Continue List (66 more) ...
- Hilltop Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hilltop Cemetery
- Hilltop Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<3> to the southwest of Little River.
- Hilltop Cemetery has also been known as:
- Freeport Hilltop Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hilltop Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2452412<1>
- Valley Cemetery
- Seawall Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Seawall Cemetery
- Seawall Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<3> to the northeast of Little River.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Seawall Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Little River. See our List of 1890's Communities around Little River.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Little River
Search for a Community located in Nova Scotia
About Nova Scotia
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Little River. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Little River) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Little River. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Little RiverOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Little River. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.4444, Longitude: -66.1450 |
|<4>||To help visualize the location of the cemetery, we've drawn a straight line between the communities of Ashmore and Weymouth North. The cemetery can be found near that line and roughly halfway between the two communities. Remember that this is just an approximate location.|