Our Genealogy Helper for Charleston ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Charleston (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Charleston. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Charleston:
- Websites specific to Nova Scotia
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Nova Scotia
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Nova Scotia
Cemeteries Near Charleston ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Charleston.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Charleston covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Seaside Cemetery
- Cherry Hill Old Community Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Cherry Hill Old Community Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Cherry Hill Old Community Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Cherry Hill Old Community Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the east of Charleston.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cherry Hill Old Community Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2274513<1>
- Milton Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Milton Cemetery
- Milton Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the southwest of Charleston.
- Milton Cemetery has also been known as:
- Milton Community Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Milton Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2381995<1>
- Seaside Cemetery
- Zion United Church Cemetery
- Green Haven Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Lone Pine Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Lone Pine Cemetery
- Lone Pine Cemetery lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<3> to the north of Charleston.
- Lone Pine Cemetery has also been known as:
- Lapland Baptist Lone Pine Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lone Pine Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2378297<1>
- Trinity Anglican Cemetery
- St. Michael's Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Michael's Cemetery
- St. Michael's Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Charleston.
- St. Michael's Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Michael's Anglican Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Michael's Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2365364<1>
- Maple Grove Cemetery
- St. Joseph's Catholic Cemetery, Chelsea
- Hebbville Cemetery
- Newcombville Cemetery
- Brookside Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Brookside Cemetery
- Brookside Cemetery lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<3> to the northeast of Charleston.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brookside Cemetery
- Baker Settlement Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Baker Settlement Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Baker Settlement Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Baker Settlement Cemetery lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<3> to the north of Charleston.
- Baker Settlement Cemetery has also been known as:
- Baker Settlement Union Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Baker Settlement Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2370339<1>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Charleston. See our List of 1890's Communities around Charleston.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Nova Scotia
About Nova Scotia
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Charleston. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Charleston) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Charleston. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Charleston
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Charleston. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.1644, Longitude: -64.6617