Our Genealogy Helper for Abrams River ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Abrams River (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Abrams River. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Abrams River ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
Another variation: Abram River.
- A typical abbreviation for Abrams River: Abrams Riv.
- While the name of this community is Abrams River, be aware that it's the common practice of mapmakers to remove the apostrophe from possessive names<1>. So Abrams River may originally have been Abram's River.
Sometimes the trailing 's' might be dropped altogether, in which case Abrams River might be written as Abram River.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first turn to the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Abrams River:
- Websites specific to Nova Scotia
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Nova Scotia
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Nova Scotia
Cemeteries Near Abrams River ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Abrams River.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Abrams River covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Ste. Anne Parish Cemetery
- Gavelton Meeting House Cemetery
- Plymouth Cemetery
- Yarmouth Mtn. Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Yarmouth Mtn. Cemetery
- Yarmouth Mtn. Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the west of Abrams River.
- Yarmouth Mtn. Cemetery has also been known as:
- Mountain Cemetery
- Yarmouth Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Yarmouth Mtn. Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2318456<2>
- Our Lady of Calvary Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Our Lady of Calvary Cemetery
- Our Lady of Calvary Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the west of Abrams River.
- Our Lady of Calvary Cemetery has also been known as:
- Our Lady of Calvary RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Our Lady of Calvary Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2315983<2>
- Chebogue Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Chebogue Cemetery
- Chebogue Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the southwest of Abrams River.
- Chebogue Cemetery has also been known as:
- Town Point Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chebogue Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2135405<2>
- Continue List ...
- Anglican Church Hill Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Anglican Church Hill Cemetery
- Anglican Church Hill Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the west of Abrams River.
- Anglican Church Hill Cemetery has also been known as:
- Butler's Hill Anglican Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Anglican Church Hill Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2588881<2>
- St. Pierre Parish Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Pierre Parish Cemetery
- St. Pierre Parish Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<3> to the southeast of Abrams River.
- St. Pierre Parish Cemetery has also been known as:
- Eglise Saint-Pierre Cemetery
- Middle West Pubnico Church Cemetery
- St. Peter's Parish Cemetery
- St. Peter's Parish Cemetery
- St. Pierre Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Pierre Parish Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2265194<2>
- Calvinist Baptist Cemetery
- Old Acadian Cemetery
- Founders Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Founders Cemetery
- Founders Cemetery lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<3> to the northwest of Abrams River.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Founders Cemetery
- FWB Cemetery
- Green Cove Cemetery
- Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
- Bonnycastle Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Abrams River. See our List of 1890's Communities around Abrams River.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Nova Scotia
About Nova Scotia
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Abrams River. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca
|<1>||It's generally believed that possessive apostrophes are removed to prevent confusion on maps where the apostrophe may be confused with a cartographic symbol. While this is generally true, it's not uncommon to find possessive apostrophes in administrative names (such as towns or counties).|
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Abrams River) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Abrams River. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Abrams River
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Abrams River. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.8353, Longitude: -65.9490