Welcome to Aventon ...
Although we found mention of Aventon during our research, we have little information about it.<1> Given the context of how Aventon was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Aventon to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Aventon, please Contact Us.
The location of Aventon has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<2>
Aventon is 270 feet [82 m] above sea level.<3>.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Aventon might be (or was) located is in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
We believe that Aventon would be found within the (252) area code.
Adding Aventon to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Aventon in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Aventon was on a map titled Map of North Carolina (from Rand McNally, 1911).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Aventon on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Aventon ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found another community named Aventon - it's located in Indiana.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Aventon.
Communities near Aventon ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Aventon.
- Rocky Mount [Edgecombe County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rocky Mount
- Rocky Mount [Edgecombe County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the southeast of Aventon
- Population from the 2020 Census: 53,689 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rocky Mount
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Rocky Mount<5>
- Nashville [Nash County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Nashville
- Nashville [Nash County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the south of Aventon
- Population from the 2020 Census: 5,572 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Nashville have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Nashville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Nashville<5>
- Louisburg [Franklin County]
- Red Oak [Nash County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Red Oak
- Red Oak [Nash County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the south of Aventon
- Population from the 2020 Census: 3,492 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Red Oak have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Red Oak
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Enfield [Halifax County]
- Spring Hope [Nash County]
- Dortches [Nash County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dortches
- Dortches [Nash County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<4> to the southeast of Aventon
- Population from the 2020 Census: 964 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dortches have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dortches
- Whitakers [Edgecombe County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Whitakers
- Whitakers [Edgecombe County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the east of Aventon
- Population from the 2020 Census: 700 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Whitakers have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Whitakers
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Whitakers<5>
- Littleton [Halifax County]
- Battleboro [Edgecombe County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Battleboro
- Battleboro [Edgecombe County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the southeast of Aventon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Battleboro have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Battleboro
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Battleboro<5>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Aventon. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Aventon.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Aventon. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Aventon.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Aventon. See our Newspapers Page for Aventon.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Aventon ...
Looking for more information about Aventon? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Aventon, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Aventon.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in North Carolina
About Nash County
About North Carolina
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Nash County: www.co.nash.nc.us/
The official website for State of North Carolina: https://www.nc.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Aventon and then turned west". While Aventon could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Aventon as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Aventon could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Aventon - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Aventon) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Aventon. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AventonOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Aventon. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 36.1529, Longitude: -77.9497 In this case, the coordinates for Aventon have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|