Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Retreat Crossing, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Retreat Crossing and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Retreat Crossing:
- 45.523056, -107.390000
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Retreat Crossing
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Big Horn County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Big Horn County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Retreat Crossing ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Dunmore [Big Horn County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dunmore
- Dunmore [Big Horn County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the northwest of Retreat Crossing
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dunmore have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dunmore
- Forty Mile Colony [Big Horn County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Forty Mile Colony
- Forty Mile Colony [Big Horn County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the south of Retreat Crossing
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Forty Mile Colony have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Forty Mile Colony
- Garryowen [Big Horn County]
- Kirby [Big Horn County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kirby
- Kirby [Big Horn County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the southeast of Retreat Crossing
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Kirby have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kirby
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Lame Deer [Rosebud County]
- Lodge Grass [Big Horn County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lodge Grass
- Lodge Grass [Big Horn County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the south of Retreat Crossing
- Population from the 2020 Census: 442 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lodge Grass have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lodge Grass
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Lodge Grass<3>
- Spear [Big Horn County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Spear
- Spear [Big Horn County] lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the south of Retreat Crossing
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Spear have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Spear
How Far From Retreat Crossing to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Retreat Crossing to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Retreat Crossing and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Hardin, which is the Seat of Big Horn County and lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the northwest. If you could walk a straight line from Retreat Crossing to Hardin, with an average speed<4> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take five to six hours.
- Helena, which is the State Capital of Montana, lies 233 miles [375 km] to the west northwest (WNW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take nearly four hours, a buggy would take 10 days and walking would take 14 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,607 miles [2,586.2 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 63 days and walking would take 92 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,601 miles [10,623.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,369 miles [11,859.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,348 miles [8,606.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Montana Community
About Big Horn County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Retreat Crossing. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Retreat Crossing) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Retreat Crossing. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.5231, Longitude: -107.3900 In this case, the coordinates for Retreat Crossing have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Retreat Crossing to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 328.768 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 328.243 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 318.597 degrees.||